Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Oil Cooler Lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Lines

Hello, I've got a 97' D1 and I was wondering if anybody knew how many oil cooler lines there are and the best place to buy them online for the buck. I have a leak coming from somewhere, and I thought i would changed out the lines, and see if that fixed it. The other part I'm looking at replacing is the steering box. Any help would be great, thanks.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

www.roverlandparts.com
www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roversnorth.com
www.google.com
www.ebay.com

The most common leak on a DI is the valve covers, a 8mm 12 point socket will fix this.
The second most common is the oil psi sending unit, it is right above the oil filter and can be had at your local autoparts store.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Go pressure wash your engine and find what is leaking before you spend bucks on replacing parts that may not be needed.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Go pressure wash your engine and find what is leaking before you spend bucks on replacing parts that may not be needed.
X2 on this. I did this and discovered I have leaks in the upper cooler line and the pan gasket.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Overlanding

When i was under the Disco this morning, i was trying to figure out how many different oil coolers lines there are, so far I see a least 3-4, two which go back towards the transmission, and one that makes a loop around from the top to bottom portion of the driver side radiator. Any others that I might be missing?

Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried looking in the rave? If you don't have the rave there is a link in my sig. Try that. I am not sure how many there are. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Overlanding

Great, I will definitely look into the Rave, I have the rave for disco 1 on my desktop, guess i know what i am doing tonight, neglecting school work in order to find what hoses are leaking on the Rave Oh how I love my Disco

Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhxDisco1
When i was under the Disco this morning, i was trying to figure out how many different oil coolers lines there are, so far I see a least 3-4, two which go back towards the transmission, and one that makes a loop around from the top to bottom portion of the driver side radiator. Any others that I might be missing?
I think there are only two "oil" cooler lines on the passenger side, front of the engine--an upper and a lower. There are two lines the make the loop from the transmission to the radiator to cool he transmission fluid. I think that is it.

I also had leaks coming from the transmission cooler lines, and had them replaced. You may also have leaks there, but you may need to wash the underside to be sure.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is a engine oil cooler, it is located right infront of the radiator, on the bottom, it is round with fins.
Look trough the bottom of the grill and you will see it.

The trans oil cooler lines run INTO the radiator.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Overlanding

Cool, thanks for the help guys, I found a nice layout on www.roversnorth.com, there are three lines that are leaking on mine, the two transmission lines and the cooler to cooler line on the right side of the radiator.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Lines