Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ongoing starting / computer issue. New computer still won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ongoing starting / computer issue. New computer still won't start

I posted about this probably a month ago. Since then health problem have kept me from solving the problem. So to recap. I have 1997 Discovery 1. It was running fine until about a month ago. Drove it home at night fine. Would not start the next morning. Clicking of a relay under the dash (glovebox). Ordered a new relay. New one arrived 3-4 days later. Installed it. Bingo it started right up. Problem solved? No way. Would not restart until the end of the day. Started... I drove it to my regular repair shop. They found the main computer rusted out on the bottom 1/3. Rusted with visible holes. They located a company in Texas that has rebuilt computers. Discussions with the Texas rebuilder led us to believe that a simple swap of the computer should solve the problem WITHOUT any programming from a Land Rover dealer. The nearest dealer to our location is 350 miles one way. After installing the computer (the local repair shop) managed to get a connection via the OBD port. But the car would not start. The nearest Land Rover dealer was no help at all they said they do work on older models. So we are stuck. The local repair shop is the go to place for car electronics problems. They work on all makes and models and are a resource for local dealers who don't have experience staff for electronic problems.

What I would like to find is an experienced Discovery I mechanic who would be willing to act as a "consultant" to help us solve the problem. I am will to pay for this consulting help. The local repair shop is very willing to work with a "consultant" via phone. If you are willing to help please contact me via this forum or contact me jambie7240@yahoo.com. If you happen to live in northern Wisconsin or the UP of Michigan I would be willing to discuss paying you to take a small working vacation to Lake Superior in northern Wisconsin.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Does it crank? When it does start does it run right? Codes?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The latest…. I just talked to the tech at the local repair shop. He has been calling around to find some guidance with the problem. It appears at this point that the new computer DOES need to be "flashed" to the "alarm box" but it requires the OLD LR tool. The two dealers in our region do not have the old tool anymore. Does anyone know what the "old flash tool is called" and 2. Is it likely I could find one to buy or rent?

So at this point I have a new rebuilt computer but it needs to be flashed to the security system and we don't have the flash tool.

Any suggestions

Old 06-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Believe it is test book , there are a few scanners that will do it but they are pricey, I had to drive several hours to get mine flashed

There must be an independent. Rover shop in your area somewhere

Atlantic British sells their own brand scanner, iirc it does flash but I would call and ask, scanner with the program $1k +/-

Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

PM sent.
Are you still getting the clicking when cranking? I had similar issues that sometimes when I would crank to start to relay(s) in the passenger footwell would click rapidly. Went through trying to replace them to no avail. It ended up being the Multifunction Relay in the engine bay. It's black and about the size of your four fingers together, near the Charcoal canister.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

I had an issue earlier this spring where my engine would crank all day long but the injectors were not getting energized. My understanding was that the efi ecu was the culprit. I replaced BOTH the efi ecu and the alarm ecu (the green ecu under the glove box) and was able to get the truck running again. There were other issues thanks to the PO installing a ridiculous stereo system such that, in the end I learned that the alarm ecu was getting fried and it was blocking the the efi ecu from working.

I know that it's unlikely that the issues you are having are the same BUT whomever it was that said you could just install an efi ecu without having it synced was being less than honest. Yes, on very rare occasions an efi ecu will sync to a different alarm ecu but it is really a crap shoot even if you are replacing identical parts. To successfully swap out efi ecu's without syncing, you need the matching alarm ecu otherwise you'll be in exactly the situation you find yourself.