Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Plug Fouling 96 D1. All plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so wait..are you running open headers, you dont have a y-pipe muffler and tail section?sorry i dont know if I missed that part..if your running open headers (no muffler, no pipes at all) there is your problem right there...IF that is the case (again i dont know if you mentioned that you have new pipes and mufflers from the header back) it can run you PIG rich and actually burn up valves

just fyi you can only remove the two rear o2 sensors, the front ones are needed for the operation of the vehicle..the rears just check the cats..just fyi

Last edited by thehun; 12-12-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thehun
so wait..are you running open headers, you dont have a y-pipe muffler and tail section?sorry i dont know if I missed that part..if your running open headers (no muffler, no pipes at all) there is your problem right there...IF that is the case (again i dont know if you mentioned that you have new pipes and mufflers from the header back) it can run you PIG rich and actually burn up valves

just fyi you can only remove the two rear o2 sensors, the front ones are needed for the operation of the vehicle..the rears just check the cats..just fyi
No...

I have The headers, custom pipe to a pair of Magnaflow cats, custom pipe to a flowmaster 40 muffler. Right now, all 4 O2's are installed in hooked up. In this video you can see the setup. (plus here the truck run etc..) this is on the sparkplugs in the first post and on the old wires not the new 8mm's

http://www.youtube.com/user/NGARover.../1/y9pBQ7J5Y7M

Old 12-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Winching

have you tried to put the old wires back on? sounds so darn good. Your ride is in overall great shape...my exterior is faded but mechanically is top notch..already rebuilt and all before i got it...I do have a small leak but o well...not worth taking it out and getting it fixed...its cheaper to refill with oil than spend 1000 bucks

Last edited by thehun; 12-12-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Winching

have you tried to put the old wires back on? sounds so darn good. Your ride is in overall great shape...my exterior is faded but mechanically is top notch..already rebuilt and all before i got it...I do have a small leak but o well...not worth taking it out and getting it fixed...its cheaper to refill with oil than spend 1000 bucks
The new plugs and wires are only 1 day old. I actually had to change them over to the new because the truck was fouled so much it would not start. I drove it over to drop it off and get those new ball joints on. I'll pick it up tomorrow and continue troubleshooting it.

God only knows how old those old plug wire were. One thing you have to keep in the back of your mind was this truck was basically abandoned at a walmart and sat there for 6-8 months before I tracked down the owner and bought it. (Who turned out to be the original owner!) Maintenance looks to have basically stop on it some time ago... even basic stuff like oil changes. I guess he was just tired of spending money on it. I originally bought it to use for parts but, it was just in to nice of shape to rip apart so I'm trying to save it. IT's been close to 6 months now that I have owned it an other than driving it to the shop a few times, and driving it home, it's been sitting being worked on. So I have maybe put a total of 20 miles on it in all this time.

I've notice fresh oil leaking at the top of the front seal. So I guess I tear it down again and replace that seal also. I want this truck to be right before I start driving it.

I like the sound of it too. It quite a bit louder inside also, but I can live with that. It's nice to have one that actually sounds like it has a v8 instead of a 4 banger lol.

Last edited by ngarover; 12-12-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Winching

If it sat for that long you might have leaky injectors. Can't we run ford 19lb injectors?That would be a cheap alternative

Old 12-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Winching

If it sat for that long you might have leaky injectors. Can't we run ford 19lb injectors?That would be a cheap alternative
I've thought that myself... Happen to have a link to them? I might as well just put them in anyways as the original ones would be old.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Winching

I dunno if the ford 19 lbs injectors are plug n play. I read it somewhere where someone used them. eBay it. Mustangs use those injectors as well

Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Winching

I dunno if the ford 19 lbs injectors are plug n play. I read it somewhere where someone used them. eBay it. Mustangs use those injectors as well
Found the best price on them so far, set of 8 for 230.00

http://www.eraceware.com/ford-racing...pk-123108.html

Reading it sounds like they are plug and play...

And here's a guy that cleans and rebuilds your old injectors for a reasonable price...

http://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html

By my math it would be around 140+ shipping etc to have all 8 rebuilt. So spend the extra 90 and just get the fords?

Last edited by ngarover; 12-12-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Winching

eBay u can get some for under 80 bucks. I'm gonna do this mod now too

Last edited by thehun; 12-12-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Winching

eBay u can get some for under 80 bucks. I'm gonna do this mod now too
if you find them that cheap share the link!

Quick Reply: Plug Fouling 96 D1. All plugs.