Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

r380 - grabby clutch, is there a tweak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Winching
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default r380 - grabby clutch, is there a tweak?

I notice that my clutch is a little grabby, and was wondering if there were an adjustment to make it smoother?

I recently had the clutch replaced, engine rebuilt and fixed the broken bias plate by myself (the bias plate was the only thing i had space to do myself).

Cheers and thank you in advance.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No adjustment...check fluid level, bleed, check under dash for master cylinder leak or replace slave cylinder. If none of these remedy it I would suspect clutch bearing or Teflon clutch fork seat. If it turns out to be the master cylinder, there is a re build kit for about $12 at AB.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Tracker1996
No adjustment...check fluid level, bleed, check under dash for master cylinder leak or replace slave cylinder. If none of these remedy it I would suspect clutch bearing or Teflon clutch fork seat. If it turns out to be the master cylinder, there is a re build kit for about $12 at AB.
Thank you, will report back.

I do believe I have a HD aftermarket clutch

Old 02-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Manual suggests possible causes other than new clutch. Worth a look.
Insecure/worn propeller shafts.
Insecure/worn suspension components/rubber bushes.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by number9
Manual suggests possible causes other than new clutch. Worth a look.......
Just had all the bushings replaced with OEM rubber, bolts, and screws

Perhaps worn shafts. I will check fluid level first though and take it from there.

Appreciate your help and time number9

Old 02-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Winching

Let me add one thing. Its upon acceleration shifting gears, it seems to buck quite a bit.

Anyways, will check fluids and report back

Old 02-18-2016, 09:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Motor/transmission mounts good?

Oil contamination on clutch friction surfaces would be another problem that can cause that.

Last edited by ihscouts; 02-18-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by number9
Manual suggests possible causes other than new clutch. Worth a look.......
I can appreciate your knowledge of the "manual" as I'm sure you can appreciate the difference in shop and shade tree mechanics. The rave was written from the (shops) point of view, certainly, all things being equal, you should take into account that "they" (the author) are considering that the Discovery is serviceable meaning; the truck has never been exposed to the extreme conditions that most of these have been! I.e. Run hard and put away wet... I could go on and on about what you don't know about the R380 but, think that you do! But I won't (unless you respond to this) . I'll end with this, I torn apart (3) in the last year and if you want advice on them you turn to Dave Ashcroft not a manual thats best for tearing it apart and not being able to finish because of the enormous amount of LR specialty tools it take to complete the task...I stand corrected!!! I think it's possibly the drive shaft too! My apologies and by all means keep trolling the post to find someone that you in your infinite "manual" wisdom can correct or attempt to, anyways. You choose wether you are a part of the problem with this forum or the solution (to help people get there ****ty running truck into a safe operable condition). My advice come from experience and compassion for a fellow R380 brother or sister! As its been said many times on here "Dirty hands or deep pockets" it takes...let him get to know his truck and the best way is from hand on experience, not the rave or the nearest mechanics shop...although I would pay to have my bushing replaced what a pain in the a$$ that is, anyone agree?

Old 02-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by archaeology_student
I notice that my clutch is a little grabby, and was wondering if there were an adjustment to make it smoother?

I recently had the clutch replaced, engine rebuilt and fixed the broken bias plate by myself (the bias plate was the only thing i had space to do myself).

Cheers and thank you in advance.
Make sure your not just resting your foot on the clutch pedal too! Could be all that it is, I catch myself doing it sometimes and it's very sensitive, even starting at 1/2 inch it will engage the clutch (just a thought) and it will do the same thing that your suggesting in your last post.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Motor/transmission mounts good?

Oil contamination on clutch friction surfaces would be another problem that can cause that.
When the top end of the engine was rebuilt along with the head gasket work, I had two mounts replaced. The others are good.

Quick Reply: r380 - grabby clutch, is there a tweak?