Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

R380 repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 03:01 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

you might post something at defendersource.com in the 'wanted to buy' section

Old 01-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Progress report-
I got the spacer off, by using a thing I made from Chinese puller parts combined with Snap-on Puller parts.
Everything is apart and degreased. I ordered new seals, and replacements for the dead bearings.
What I still need are the parts indicated by arrows in the following diagram:

parts
The inner gear ring is the hard part. The three little synchro plates are probably not too hard to find, and the baulk ring for 4/5 gear is available. I am going to try to get the baulk ring ordered today.
If anyone has a lead on the inner gear, I would be thrilled to hear it.
T

Old 01-29-2018, 07:40 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

This should get you to the correct part numbers. Some are VIN specific.
Allbrit.de - Ersatzteile für LAND ROVER & MG ROVER

#9 Baulk Ring -- FTC 5018
at Amazon.... says genuine and that would make this far cheaper than anywhere else. Genuine would generally run $95 (LRDIRECT.com) to $136 (Roversnorth)
Amazon Amazon

#3 Plate Synchro -- FTC 4171
$6 at LRDIRECT.

#1 (which seems to include #3) Maindshaft Synchro Ring FTC5101 (subject to a VIN check for compatibility)

https://bearmach.com/mainshaft-synchro-ring-ftc5101

LRdirect has the Britpart brand replacement. Britpart (aka ****part) does not have a good reputation and I'd strongly advise against using one of their parts in a critical application such as this.

I'd also seek out one of the used parts vendors assemblers such as Paul Grant or Will Tillery to see if they have any supply.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the tip! I grabbed the last baulk ring from Amazon, the numbers match.
I also properly laid out and test fit all the bits and pieces.
I am beginning to have some confidence that I will be able to actually get it back together without having a bunch of pieces left over, or too few.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Britpart (aka ****part) does not have a good reputation and I'd strongly advise against using one of their parts in a critical application such as this.
If you are unfamiliar with AM rover parts PLEASE heed this advice. This is solid info. Find ANY other make if you can.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 PM
Drifting

message received, and heeded.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:20 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by toadboy65
Does anyone recommend albrit.de? They seem to have the parts, at a decent price.
I am not really all that cheap, but this car spent a decade parked in a pasture, home to mice and other wildlife. That is after a decade of use as a farm truck.
But it has always started when required, and drove fairly well, even with the current transmission damage. The leaking fluid was what concerned me enough to put it on the lift and start pulling pieces off. Assuming I get it back on the road, it is going to be driven by one of my kids, and will likely be destroyed, as happens with teenagers and cars.
In the meantime, the kid is driving my Mercedes AMG, and I have to drive one of my collector cars.
But thanks for the helpful responses here. I will keep looking for a few days before I order parts.
T
Keep away from ASHCROFT. Don't think they are that good.
if you want good parts, go to Evolution (EAS)
Shop4autoparts-Land Rover Parts & Spares

they actually PRODUCE the original parts for R380 and Lt77
Say hello from me, I have visited the factory years ago and never ordered a gearbox part elsewhere since
they are very helpful.

Albrit has fantastic catalogues

greetings from CR

Old 02-05-2018, 10:18 PM
Drifting

I believe I have all the parts located and ordered at this point. Once everything shows up, I will see if I can get it all together again.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Drifting

I have all my parts, as far as I can figure. I did end up repairing the mainshaft, where the tip was broken off. Here is a view of the repair:

The new piece is tool steel, and is inserted a little over an inch into the mainshaft, just short of the lube oil hole for 5th gear.
A question though- do the bearing outer races for both the input shaft and layshaft go on after the gearcase is installed, and held down by the front cover? This is how it appears to work, but I want to be sure. The wire stop in the bearing race for the layshaft is not clearly shown in the rave manual.
Any help appreciated.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I really cant contribute substantively, but just want to thank you for documenting your work here. Its hard enough to find even basic info about the r380 in the states. (internet and youtube have helped, but the more the better)

Quick Reply: R380 repair questions