Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Random D1 and Offroad stuff so I stop thread-jacking

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after doing some research on some torque specs. We may have over-tightened the shocks. Some manufacturers recommend around 40 Nm (30 ft-lbs) on that nut. It looks like Land Rover recommends only 37 Nm on the stock bottom mount (shock to front axle). However, the Terrafirma shock bolt is a larger diameter so it can take a little more torque.

Based on my perfectly calibrated arm strength and "grunt torque" estimates we have more than 40 Nm on your nuts. We should fix that this evening.

Last edited by dougwashere; 04-30-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by dougwashere
So after doing some research on some torque specs. We may have over-tightened the shocks. Some manufacturers recommend around 40 Nm (30 ft-lbs) on that nut. It looks like Land Rover recommends only 37 Nm on the stock bottom mount (shock to front axle). However, the Terrafirma shock bolt is a larger diameter so it can take a little more torque.

Based on my perfectly calibrated arm strength and "grunt torque" estimates we have more than 40 Nm on your nuts. We should fix that this evening.
I think the torque spec has more to do with properly compressing the bushings rather than how large the pin diameter is.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by fishEH
I think the torque spec has more to do with properly compressing the bushings rather than how large the pin diameter is.
That would make sense since it is an unusually low amount of torque based on the bolt and nut size.

Which must be why they are using nylock nuts... I can see clearly now the rain is gone.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Three Wheeling

I am not sure I am comfortable with people discussing my nuts on a public forum.

BTW, there seems to be a lot of discussion about removing the headliner (for maintenance) and some people leaving it off, but I am having trouble finding any pictures of what it looks like with no headliner. I am not a fan of removing the headliner because it seems like it would be a pain to get it back on...but if it looks good (...eye of the beholder) without it that might be an option.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dougwashere
That would make sense since it is an unusually low amount of torque based on the bolt and nut size.

Which must be why they are using nylock nuts... I can see clearly now the rain is gone.

Yes! Rule of thumb.. if the bushing is not sleeved then tighten it until it starts to buldge a little bit. I use loc-tite on them too just in case.. The arms on my 3-link are like this most radius arms so I threw on some red lock-tite and called it good.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue with the front shocks, I think I just backed it off enough that the shock was just barely clearing the axle

Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by shaggy52282
I am not sure I am comfortable with people discussing my nuts on a public forum.

BTW, there seems to be a lot of discussion about removing the headliner (for maintenance) and some people leaving it off, but I am having trouble finding any pictures of what it looks like with no headliner. I am not a fan of removing the headliner because it seems like it would be a pain to get it back on...but if it looks good (...eye of the beholder) without it that might be an option.
I've had my headliner out for over a year now. I meant to recover it but haven't gotten around to it, LOL. Taking it out and putting it in is easy. Its one big piece that comes out through the cargo door. I'll see if I can snag a pic.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I've had my headliner out for over a year now. I meant to recover it but haven't gotten around to it, LOL. Taking it out and putting it in is easy. Its one big piece that comes out through the cargo door. I'll see if I can snag a pic.
I can also vouch for the fact that it is really easy.

The hard part is finessing it out the back door without spilling the remnant nuggets from the rodent civilization that was living on top of it.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Camel Trophy

Sans headliner.
Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzEwMTcuanBn.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  127.8 KB

Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Hmm...I guess I didn't think to account for all the wires and such.

I have never been good at working with fabric...or really anything other than computers...so even if it is "easy" for a normal person...it very well could frustrate the heck out of me.

Quick Reply: Random D1 and Offroad stuff so I stop thread-jacking