Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Random D1 and Offroad stuff so I stop thread-jacking

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
... hows the control difference? i just went from smalls to medium mt's and lost a bit of grip. bounces a little and wanders a bit when it didn't before. also seems to have slack in the steering. all steering is new tho. maybe i should check it.

Who put it in?
Get a Torque Wrench yet?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaggy52282
It's hard to compare because I haven't owned it long enough to have a good feel for it (either before or after the lift/tires). Also, my daily driver is a "sports car", so any Discovery is going to feel like it handles like crap.
For sure, the all terrains handle better than the mt's. the mt's look great and i'm sure will perform better off highway but i've lost some "tightness" with the mt's. my other vehicle is a D2 and the differences are confusing at time. window switches rearranged, totally different engine/cooling system. a bunch of parts exactly the same. it's hard for me to notice slight differences...some guys have that feel. i don't.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Who put it in?
Get a Torque Wrench yet?
my guy. i got a guy for everything down here. wasn't easy but steering and suspension all new and super tight. crappy steering box leaks.

no torque wrench yet. i'll get it 10 minutes before I need it or buy this Craftsman set i've been looking at on craigslist.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am probably about to ask a stupid question that has been covered a "million" times, but my search-fu is failing me (I have tried)..and this is my randomness thread anyway.

So anyway, what is the deal with putting D2 fender flares on a D1? Will they be big enough to go with 235/85/r16 tires...or would the flares themselves still need to be trimmed? My friend found some in a junk yard, and it seems like if I am going to have to trim the fenders anyway, it might not hurt to have some flares to make it look a bit cleaner...but if I would have to trim the flares as well it would sort of be counter-productive.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by shaggy52282
I am probably about to ask a stupid question that has been covered a "million" times, but my search-fu is failing me (I have tried)..and this is my randomness thread anyway.

So anyway, what is the deal with putting D2 fender flares on a D1? Will they be big enough to go with 235/85/r16 tires...or would the flares themselves still need to be trimmed? My friend found some in a junk yard, and it seems like if I am going to have to trim the fenders anyway, it might not hurt to have some flares to make it look a bit cleaner...but if I would have to trim the flares as well it would sort of be counter-productive.
The deal is they let you cut open up the wheel arches to accommodate wide 33's or wheels that have more backspacing. Some people just like the look too. You do not need them for 235/85, 265/75, or even 255/85. If they're cheap pick them up because they fetch a fair amount. I have a set in my shed for "maybe one day.....).

Old 05-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Three Wheeling

I know it wouldn't be required for that size tire...but a camel cut is...so I was thinking if they would "hide" the camel cut (in case I mess it up), but still have room for 32's they might be a valid option.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy

IMO 235/85/16's on stock rims will look silly with the D2 flares. But yes, they would hide a messed up Camel Cut. Go slow and take your time. Measure a bunch and cut a little. Cut more if needed. Get a set of ramps. Put them at opposite wheels, drivers front and passenger rear for example. Drive up the ramps and see how much you need to cut. You probably won't need any taken off the front. The rear you'll need to take about 2" off the bottom and taper it up into the arch.

When I did my Camel Cut it was the first "customizing" I did to my beloved Disco. Once you get dents and dings and pinstriping you'll look back and laugh that you were so concerned about cutting a little aluminum.
Oh, and use a air cut off wheel of angle grinder with cut off wheel. I find the action of a Sawzall to be too intense and the whole fender starts shaking.

Last edited by fishEH; 05-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Three Wheeling

I don't mind dents/dings/scratches that originate offroad...I just don't like the idea of messing it up while in the driveway. My previous 4x4's got pretty beat up offroad.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you do a camel cut? Like is there a write up somewhere? I googled and cannot come up with anything..

It gets tossed around and I've asked before but people just say its trimming the rear fender. But where? How? Exact measurements or something? I think I found something on DWeb I haven't read it yet though..

Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by calebbo
How do you do a camel cut? Like is there a write up somewhere? I googled and cannot come up with anything..

It gets tossed around and I've asked before but people just say its trimming the rear fender. But where? How? Exact measurements or something? I think I found something on DWeb I haven't read it yet though..
Dweb, Tech, Fender Trimming.
Do like I suggested. Place ramps at opposite tires and drive up on them. It will become abundantly clear what you need to cut. Mainly behind the rear tire. Get a firm and flat piece of cardboard. Cut it into a long slightly curved line. Put it up to the back of the fender and move it around to the position that gives the smoothest transition. Trace the line with a sharpie. Now you have a template for the other side.

Quick Reply: Random D1 and Offroad stuff so I stop thread-jacking