Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   rear driver side taillight issue (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/rear-driver-side-taillight-issue-92423/)

emtuzas 12-04-2018 11:41 PM

rear driver side taillight issue

Hello,

Just spent a good hour or more to troubleshoot the driver side tail light thats not working.
Basically, turn signal works, brake light works (which is the same bulb as an actual tail light) , however the tail light does not work. Tried swapping the "holder" from another side where it actually works, cleaned contacts, cleaned cable contacts, what else could be causing this issue? Got pulled over the other night for that thing...

Thanks!

whiskeynipple0088 12-05-2018 08:11 AM

had the same issue - the housing was visibly warped and just wouldnt make contact - replaced the whole assembly
that would be my first look - then electrical

emtuzas 12-05-2018 11:05 AM

By housing you mean that little plastic thing where the bulb goes in or the actual tailight assembly ?

NVRover 12-05-2018 11:07 AM

I had the same issue. Check for continuity. The holders weren’t making contact. I bent the contacts out just a bit and they worked like a charm.

emtuzas 12-05-2018 11:17 AM

I did swap them around from a working side (passenger side) and no luck. Thing is - brake light, which is the same "holder" works fine...

NVRover 12-05-2018 12:17 PM

Assure the plastic holder is seating correctly on the “board” and the metal contacts are lining up with the correct positions.

whiskeynipple0088 12-05-2018 01:17 PM

I replaced the entire assembly - the used one I got came with the sockets too.

emtuzas 12-05-2018 11:44 PM

got back home from work and got the voltmeter out to test everything. Looks like on the driver side, the cable that turns on the light is not getting any voltage. Red/Black cable in that cable harness that connects the whole assembly.

fishEH 12-06-2018 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by emtuzas (Post 671985)
got back home from work and got the voltmeter out to test everything. Looks like on the driver side, the cable that turns on the light is not getting any voltage. Red/Black cable in that cable harness that connects the whole assembly.

Glad you checked that before throwing parts at it. A meter and a test lights are a Rover owner's best friend!

emtuzas 12-07-2018 03:23 PM

Got it fixed, looked at the wiring diagram and realized that each taillight had separate fuses, one was shot, replaced it - works like a charm.

emtuzas 01-12-2019 08:20 AM

I guess i take that back. Not fixed. Taillight gets the fuse blown all the time. I ordered whole brand new taillight assembly with new bulbs, still the same. Pretty much as soon as i turn on the lights, it blows out the fuse. I looked and the wiring plug seems to be fine, wires around the plug also seem to be ok.

Any idea where to look at? Im starting to give up on this thing...

jimvw57 01-12-2019 10:39 PM

Take alook at the lights in the bumper. I had the exhaust melt the wiring going to the bumper light and it would blow the fuse when I turned on the headlights