Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rear windows

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear windows

I have a problem. When I bought my Disco 1, both of my rear windows did not work. So I took them both apart, and tested the window motors, to a 12volt charge. They worked without hesitation. So, I put them back in. I checked my window switch on the center console, and it is still good. I just switched the plug from my front window, to my rear window to test. I also checked all of my fuses. The front windows work without a prpblem, its just the rears that I am having problems with. If anyone has a solution to this problem, please comment.
Thanks, gman21.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AMR1282RK.cfm click on instructions on how to bypass/repair lift ECU for rear windows.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-20-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Rock Crawling

If the switch and motors are good, you can also google the problem and solder the circuit board behind the glove box. There were two contact points on mine that were bad...quick (and ugly) solder fixed it.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I have that bypass kit, new. $10 shipped and its yours!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Mudding

Why add a bypass on such an easy fix. If you have a solder gun around find someone with small hands to remove Ecu box and solder it 20 mins max. Window Ecu is under the passenger dash just find the bad solder joint and add some solder to make new contact. I have big hands and still just got a few little cuts.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Walko327
Why add a bypass on such an easy fix. If you have a solder gun around find someone with small hands to remove Ecu box and solder it 20 mins max. Window Ecu is under the passenger dash just find the bad solder joint and add some solder to make new contact. I have big hands and still just got a few little cuts.
6 of one, half dozen of the other really. I bypassed mine. I'm not sure what the window lift ECU even does to tell you the truth. I bypassed the ECU and the windows goup/down every time so I'm happy. Not sure what else I'd want them to do really. And its just one less thing to fail again in the future IMO.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by fishEH
6 of one, half dozen of the other really. I bypassed mine. I'm not sure what the window lift ECU even does to tell you the truth. I bypassed the ECU and the windows goup/down every time so I'm happy. Not sure what else I'd want them to do really. And its just one less thing to fail again in the future IMO.
For me, I was trying to minimize the amount of stray wires I've got running around my truck. Knowing my luck I'd put in the bypass, forget about it and yank it during my random dashboard wiring (mis)adventures. I was boneheaded enough to buy a rear window motor before checking the center console switch, which was just unplugged. For whatever reason soldering it just seemed like a more fun project (buying the gun and solder cost more than the bypass)

Old 03-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Mudding

I did the soldering a few months ago. Worked for all of two days, now I need to go back in an re-solder. I have a feeling I didn't sand enough of the old joint to make a good contact for the new solder .

Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Disco28
I did the soldering a few months ago. Worked for all of two days, now I need to go back in an re-solder. I have a feeling I didn't sand enough of the old joint to make a good contact for the new solder .
And people wonder why I bypassed the wonderful Land Rover electronics! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco28
Sand the old joint? Definitely didn't do that. Definitely DID leave a huge solder mountain at each of the broken connections, though. F-you, "less is more"! Hahahaha.

Quick Reply: Rear windows