Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diff/Lock High Low Shift Knob Lever just spins???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Diff/Lock High Low Shift **** Lever just spins???

Hi there.....I am ne to all this, so please bare with me....I posted to the new member area with all my problems, but i figured I would post to this area....I have a Disco I SD 99. I just purchased the truck last week.

The Diff/Lock High Low...the ****?lever just spins.....

I got under the truck and saw that what I know of is connected, but I did see a long lever hanging that was not connected. The truck drives....the only difference that I see is that when I make tight turns, the tires really grab (like trying to park in a parking space)

Any Ideas.....$$$$$ or $ fix??

Thanks again for any and all info...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it move over to the hi low position and won't engage? Little more info please.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

So I wonder which position you are stuck in - if engaged, there should be a light on the instrument panel that looks like a sideways H. That would account for the poor handling. It is generally considered tough on the truck to operate in "lock" on pavement, because the tires can't shift around like they can in dirt, and more stress is placed on components.

Hopefully both front and rear propeller shafts are present?

See RAVE download for the facory workshop manual, transfer gearbox is in section 41.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless his light is burned out he wouldn't know.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by adigerol77
Unless his light is burned out he wouldn't know.
True. If the CDL was engaged before the transfer case linkage was discombobulated, it may be wise to remove a drive shaft until the problem can be sorted out. Driving around on paved roads with the transfer case locked is an unwise thing to do. If this is a daily driver, you might want to take 30 minutes and drop a drive shaft, and see if it still moves, while you determine the state of the hanging linkage.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're definitely locked in, as in Differentials locked in. Your tires will very quickly dissipate, and you'll be spending a lot more in tires than simply a new transfercase.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 AM
4wd Low

No light is present on the dash.....Are these trucks known for having dash lights go out easily?? I have a few that do not light up...I'm thinking they could have been pulled??

Thank you again for all your responses......this truck is def a "learn something new everyday"...but I wouldn't trade her in though for anything

Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 AM
4wd Low

Is there a way to put it into the proper gear from underneath until I can get the problem rectified?

Thank you

Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well I suppose if the shift linkage is "Disco" nected, that could impair the activation of the lamp. But why is it taken apart? And why did the PO leave it in "lock" mode, did he have one of the drive shafts removed, etc.? Time for some greasy under truck time. Some members report that with a set of ramps, you can place one on each right side wheel, and that tilts the truck to a good spot to go under, plus if you are changing oil it puts the oil pan drain in a better location. Being that I have to wear the "XL" coveralls (Extra Lard), I'm all for more space.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still not enough info and a lot of guessing. Take a look at the RAVE (link is in my sig), familiarize yourself with all the linkage and the position that the "shifter" on top of the t-case should be in for hi/diff unlock. Once you have more knowledge of what it should look like then you can look at yours and provide us with more info. Then we can help you better. It could be that it's where it should be and the PO broke some things trying to shift some seized linkage. There could be a lot of things wrong or a few. Is this your first 4x4? Do you know the difference in the feel of a Jeep which is 4x2 until placed in 4x4 and a Disco that is all time 4x4 with a diff lock? They do drive differently and so it may be where it should be on ge t-case. Stop driving it until you figure it out though. If it is in diff lock you are damaging it everytime you drive on pavement. More info and a better understanding of what you are looking will help. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Diff/Lock High Low Shift Knob Lever just spins???