Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Replacing Rubber Coupling (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/replacing-rubber-coupling-44160/)

bradical 10-03-2011 08:53 AM

Replacing Rubber Coupling

So that rubber coupling on my rear drive shaft looks like is about to separate into 1000 pieces. I got a few questions about it.

First if its cracked how soon does it need to be replaced?

Is it the source the crazy vibration when I let off the gas pedal?

Can I replace it myself? (Only have basic tools) if not how much to have replaced by dealer or indie?

Savannah Buzz 10-03-2011 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Basic tools and elbow grease, chock wheels, etc. See attached shop manual page.

JamesDisco97 10-03-2011 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by bradical (Post 271290)
So that rubber coupling on my rear drive shaft looks like is about to separate into 1000 pieces. I got a few questions about it.

First if its cracked how soon does it need to be replaced?

Is it the source the crazy vibration when I let off the gas pedal?

Can I replace it myself? (Only have basic tools) if not how much to have replaced by dealer or indie?

Replace it right away. If it goes you're in for a world of hurt. Yes it could be causing some of the vibration. I just replaced mine about 5k miles ago to pass inspection and it was an easy diy job. The part comes as a kit from Atlantic british with the coupler, new bolts and a new inner gasket for the end of the shaft.

There are instructions in the rave manual that are very simple and straight forward for removal and replacement. You will need a crescent wrench for the front of the shaft and a crescent and a socket to get the coupler off.

You need to put the truck up on four stands to be able to rotate the shaft to get to the bolts. I rotated the shaft, engaged the parking brake, loosened bolts, disengaged brake, rotated shaft, etc.

Make sure you place alignment marks on all connections before removing the shaft. ( I dont know why it needs to go back with the same alignment but that's what I was told and did.)

Once you remove the bolts from the front and rear you will need to compress the shaft toward the front of the truck so that it slides off the back diff and can be swung down slowly and pulled from the front. Takes a bit of force but once it starts moving it's easy. DO NOT LET IT HANG OR SWING OFF THE FRONT BOLTS.

The bushing that is in the rear end of the drive shaft will need to be scored with a dremel or something similar and then pried out. if the bushing looks ok I would just leave it as its a major pain in the @ss.

It's alot easier than it sounds. I've had to take the shaft off several times and its typically about an hour job.

There is a write up on here somewhere with pictures but the Rave manual should be enough.

If you have a few extra bills you could always just replace the shaft and flange and get rid of the rotoflex system.

calebbo 10-03-2011 04:41 PM

You don't need to lift the rover at all, I did it in the auto zone parking lot. You will need the correct size sockets, a medium sized crescent wrench, and maybe a large flathead or pry bar to get the drive shaft back on once you install the coupler. If you have any questions just holler, I was unprepared and sat on the ground covered in grease for almost 2 hours..

atancreti 10-03-2011 04:53 PM

What am I looking for when it comes to predicting drive shaft failure? I have no vibrations or anything odd but I just don't want them to fail. I do grease them once a year as well. It seems every time I grease them they are still full. Every two years I can actually get a squeeze of grease in them... Must not leak ehh?

Paul Grant 10-03-2011 05:21 PM

All you need is a ratchet with a 19mm socket and a 19 mm wrench. There are six nuts and bolts with assorted washers and lock washers. There is plenty of room to do the work while the truck is on the ground. A screw driver or crow bar may come in handy to compress the driveshaft so it drops of the diff but beyond that, I can't think of anything else you might need. It shouldn't take more than an hour even if it is your first time doing the work.

Chris-bob 10-03-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by atancreti (Post 271356)
What am I looking for when it comes to predicting drive shaft failure?

You need a magic 8 ball.

bradical 10-13-2011 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a pic of mine. im 100% certain its about to go,

Where would I go about getting a replacement? I tried the local O'reillys and they dont even know how to get one special ordered.

I dont have any credit/debit cards so the internet like AB doesnt really work for me.

Theres a guy who can sell me a used one for $35 but I dont want to get another next year.

I have a call out to Land Rover Nashville they just havent called back yet.

What would be a good price on a new one and where?

adigerol77 10-13-2011 03:32 PM

Rockauto.com has them for $38.99 and since it sounds like you're living off the grid, do you have paypal? They accept paypal. I'm sure you could always call them and send them a check too.

bradical 10-13-2011 03:59 PM

completly off the grid, no paypal no nothing, no bank account either, just a big hunk of metal in the basement with a lock. Im hoping NAPA or some of the other places will have them