Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Roof Rack Recommendations? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/roof-rack-recommendations-48643/)

LeakyDisco 04-01-2012 06:37 PM

Roof Rack Recommendations?

After reluctantly paying Uncle Sam today, I am now free to buy a roof rack for my Disco 1.

I am really liking this:

Baja Rack

Anyone else on the boards have one, or another model from Baja Racks?

Opinions?

Better racks I should consider?

Thanks!

Jake1996D1 04-01-2012 07:31 PM

Why are you looking for a roof rack? What you're looking to use it for should be taken into account..

Spike555 04-01-2012 08:05 PM

Land Rover Discovery Series I Roof Racks

jafir 04-01-2012 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1 (Post 309744)
Why are you looking for a roof rack? What you're looking to use it for should be taken into account..

Because they look cool of course! :)

I wish someone made one that WASN'T sun roof compatible. I don't have sun roofs, and I'd like to still fit in at least SOME garages if need be. Heck, I'd even like to remove that factory roof bars on mine and have just the SD style rack, like the Discovery XD.

Spike555 04-01-2012 09:06 PM

Garages are overrated.

Jake1996D1 04-01-2012 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by jafir (Post 309776)

I wish someone made one that WASN'T sun roof compatible. I don't have sun roofs, and I'd like to still fit in at least SOME garages if need be. Heck, I'd even like to remove that factory roof bars on mine and have just the SD style rack, like the Discovery XD.

haha yea I have an SD rack and use it as a tree slider/light holder (lights that I hardly use) more than anything..

I actually think Discos look better without racks or roof rails which is the route I may go eventually. Especially since I can sell my rack for a little bit of money. I have used mine to carry patio furniture home from Sears. And to carry all the plastic bits that fall off for the first time off roaders. As well as other occastiona things here and there... BUT all in all I would say there are a lot of other modifications that are much more useful than a roof rack. Especially since you can fit mostly anything in the back of a D1 with the rear seats flipped up.

Forgot to mention it's 7 and a half feet to the top of my rack... So anything thats heavy, better not be breakable cause there's only one way off the rack.

Voyager Racks, the link above does make a low profile one that only adds 6" of height but it's $1000....

LeakyDisco 04-01-2012 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1 (Post 309744)

Well, my family of 4 likes to camp, and the cargo space isn't enough, so I end strapping stuff to the stock racks (which are woefully inadequate), and this summer, 3 buddies and I will be running most of the WABDR - Washington Backcountry Discovery Route, so I need enough carrying capacity to handle it.

LeakyDisco 04-01-2012 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1 (Post 309789)
haha yea I have an SD rack and use it as a tree slider/light holder (lights that I hardly use) more than anything..

I actually think Discos look better without racks or roof rails which is the route I may go eventually. Especially since I can sell my rack for a little bit of money. I have used mine to carry patio furniture home from Sears. And to carry all the plastic bits that fall off for the first time off roaders. As well as other occastiona things here and there... BUT all in all I would say there are a lot of other modifications that are much more useful than a roof rack. Especially since you can fit mostly anything in the back of a D1 with the rear seats flipped up.

Forgot to mention it's 7 and a half feet to the top of my rack... So anything thats heavy, better not be breakable cause there's only one way off the rack.

Voyager Racks, the link above does make a low profile one that only adds 6" of height but it's $1000....

Voyager racks are cool, too. I'm a little torn between the two, but I really like the look of the Baja Rack.

LeakyDisco 04-01-2012 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 309781)
Garages are overrated.

:) Yah. And my Disco lives in the driveway because my wife insists on parking her car in the garage, and the (pile of parts) 1960 Sprite lives on the other side.

LeakyDisco 04-01-2012 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jafir (Post 309776)

The Voyager racks are good for the garage thing, but my Disco has been banished from the garage, so it doesn't matter how tall it is. :)