Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Safari steering Guard (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/safari-steering-guard-68762/)

Shiftonthefly1 08-20-2014 09:22 AM

Safari steering Guard

1 Attachment(s)
I found a guy parting out a D1 last night and picked one of these among many other parts. Are they worth it? Seems a little redundant since it mounts on the back of the diff not the front. Mounts to the now empty sway bar holes and the two diff holes. Any one running one? Worth it? Seems my steering stabilizer would need to be moved too.

Attachment 37605

fishEH 08-20-2014 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1 (Post 477802)
I found a guy parting out a D1 last night and picked one of these among many other parts. Are they worth it? Seems a little redundant since it mounts on the back of the diff not the front. Mounts to the now empty sway bar holes and the two diff holes. Any one running one? Worth it? Seems my steering stabilizer would need to be moved too.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...pseetfsv4t.jpg

If you think you need a guard for the track rod then you should be moving your steering damper to the drag link anyway.
I'm a fan of no steering gaurds and just beefing up the rods.

Shiftonthefly1 08-20-2014 01:17 PM

Ok I guess I need educating. Which bar is which? I thought they both were just steering bars. My steering stabilizer is mounted behind the diff. That seems the best place no?

fishEH 08-20-2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1 (Post 477828)
Ok I guess I need educating. Which bar is which? I thought they both were just steering bars. My steering stabilizer is mounted behind the diff. That seems the best place no?

Drag link runs from the drop arm on the steering box to the right side knuckle.
Track rod runs from the right to left knuckle, behind the axle. If you look you'll see the track rod and damper actually hang a bit below the axle leaving it pretty vulnerable to rocks. You can relocate your damper to run from the drag link up to the right side frame rail which is plenty up and out of the way.

Some people like to run a front "steering guard" that runs from the front bumper down to just below the drag link. And then there's also that track rod protector.
I'm a fan of ditching that stuff and just beefing up the stock parts. I had RoverTracks steering rods for a while which were good and now I have the RTE steering rods. My plan is to sell the RTE rods and make up some new steering rods from 1.5" O.D. x .25" wall DOM which is pretty much indestructible.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way of doing it. The end goal is the same.
You could probably sell that Safari Gard protector on D90 source for a good amount of money, somebody may want to use it for a DIY 3-link too. I run a QT front diff guard that actually wraps under the track rod. So if your front diff goes over a rock it will slide under the diff guard past the track rod.

TOM R 08-20-2014 08:15 PM

they do work, you do need to move the steering damper, it is in a bad spot oem if you actualy off road

i bent my steering last month a guy there had that guard on his rrc and his did not get bent

i am doing like fish and making heavy duty steering cause my new steering will probly weigh less then that steel box, i am trying to go strong but keep the weight down

i am buying some items from him too just waiting for them to be pulled

fishEH 08-20-2014 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by TOM R (Post 477881)
they do work, you do need to move the steering damper, it is in a bad spot oem if you actualy off road

i bent my steering last month a guy there had that guard on his rrc and his did not get bent

i am doing like fish and making heavy duty steering cause my new steering will probly weigh less then that steel box, i am trying to go strong but keep the weight down

i am buying some items from him too just waiting for them to be pulled

Items from me?? If so, what? I just pulled the truck into my other driveway tonight to start stripping it. :D

TOM R 08-21-2014 05:58 AM

:rolleyes: Not you the guy in Vegas sheesh

fishEH 08-21-2014 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by TOM R (Post 477910)
:rolleyes: Not you the guy in Vegas sheesh

Who's this guy in Vegas? Maybe I'll want to buy something. :D

Shiftonthefly1 08-21-2014 08:20 AM

Went there the other day and got a truck load. He's pretty cool. I know the carcass of the truck was hauled away yesterday.
He's got a ton of stuff. If I had the money I'd buy it all. :)

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/4623903604.html

fishEH 08-21-2014 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1 (Post 477934)
Went there the other day and got a truck load. He's pretty cool. I know the carcass of the truck was hauled away yesterday.
He's got a ton of stuff. If I had the money I'd buy it all. :)

Land Rover off road parts

Oh yeah, him. He put an ad on Dweb, too. I'm trying to get some parts off him as well. ;)