Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Serius vibration problem... Need help/ideas/,....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 03:10 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serius vibration problem... Need help/ideas/,....

Hi,

my name is Mike. I’m from Slovenia. I have been driving Landrovers for most of my adult life. I currently own Discovery 300 tdi auto. It developed weird problem after axle transplant....

So here it is. I fitted front and rear axles from a defender 90. Partially because mine were leaking diff oil everywhere, but mostly because the defender ones were fitted with ARB airlocks, HD halfshafts, 4.11 gears (or even higher, my speedo is now showing 60mph when I’m actually doing about 40) and castor corrected radius arms. The axles were fitted to a car as it would be to a defender, meaning no antiroll bars or steering damper...

I’ve also fitted front double cardan propshaft, rear 200tdi propshaft, and +2inch terrafirma springs and shocks.

Here’s my problem. When I’m doing certain speed on a road, car develops serious vibration. I shouldn’t really call it vibration, because it feels like the front of my car actually jumps from left to right. The vibration actually snapped my alternator cables off! I dont think this happens at the same speed every time, but it does happen when I go faster than 50mph. The car is undrivable, dangerous, and frankly, scary.

I did a run without front propshaft, and a run without the rear propshaft to see if any of the propshafts could cause this. No difference whatsoever.

I also did the tyre rotation/rebalansing. Also nothing.

Could a lack of antiroll bars caused this? The defeder the axles were fitted to before drove well.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this? What could have caused this?

Last edited by rollingstone; 06-21-2021 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 225 Likes on 195 Posts

Hello Mike,
You could do a search in the forum for "Death Wobble". There are a number of front end wear items that need tender loving care. The condition is a serious safety concern.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:48 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting enough… I am just now reading through old posts similar to this one. I am reading them because I am in the process of my first lift installation. I went with the +2 TF HD springs long travel shocks. Oh man my lady is going to be so pissed if there is a vibration after this install.

I too will venture down the “Death Wobble” thread. I am excited to see where I land and play the guess how much this part costs.

Please let me know if you solve this and how you did it. The more knowledge the better.

I am jelly of your rig. Wish we had a diesel version…. One day maybe.