Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Shocks and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks and Springs

So my procrastination has probably come to an end, Im about to need new tires, winter is coming up and the need for new shocks and springs is pretty serious. It is getting a bit scary on bumpy highways at speed.

I started a thread about this a few years ago, but it seems that it is now in the DiscoII section, so I will simply move the quotes over.

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
Ok I just wanted to get some feedback about springs and shocks for my DI

This is kind of a later project but I wanted to get some feedback from you guys before I start shopping around so I know what I am looking for.

I know the Shocks need to be replaced (oil seeping from them) and while Im at it I will do the springs.
Whatever 4x4 use this vehicle gets will not be that demanding..

Getting in and out of Muddy Jobsights, and the occasional camping trip.
There will no purposeful seeking of obsticals, I will allways take the easiest possible path.

I am a carpenter, and in a perfect world my tools live on the jobsight secured in a JOB BOX, but often I am traveling from job to job carrying all of my tools in the back of my truck.
I loaded it up Friday as we finished a job and the truck was visibly low in the rear and high in the front. Approximately 250-300 lbs of tools in the back. I will be removing the rear seats this weekend and this will help me to distribute the load more towards the center of the truck..

My real question here is..
With an extra 250 lbs of gear above the rear axle, should I go with the HD springs??
How will it ride empty??
Do I stick with normal springs in the front since Im not planning on a bumper and winch??
If I did plan on getting a bumper and winch later, and chose to put HD springs on the front, is it going to ride horrible until I get the weight of an aftermarket bumper on the front??
Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Here is some good reading for you, https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexsprings.htm
First my own suggestion would be the 751 fronts and 762 rears, this will give you a level lift and staying away from the 763 rears will give you a much better all around ride. The 762's will habdle you load and the 751 ride great with or without a bumper, but are the only springs recommended if running a bumper and or winch.
I have over 100,000 miles on my front 751's and they ride well, handle my heavy front end and have not sagged yet.
Mike
Originally Posted by Spike555
Spring - Front - Heavy Duty (Pair) for Range Rover Classic, Steering & Suspension Parts

Spring - Rear - Heavy Duty (Pair) for Discovery I, Steering & Suspension Parts

Here are the springs that I am going to use, $250 to my door.
Yes replace your springs in sets, all four at the same time, as well as the shocks.
These springs will not give you a lift of more than a 1" over stock height. Which is taller than you are now.
As for shocks, whatever you can afford.
HD springs will ride stiffer than stock springs, but you can adjust your ride by lowering your tire PSI.
My 3/4 ton work van with HD springs/shocks, 10 ply tires set to 75psi does not ride to bad when empty.
The Disco will ride stiffer because of the short wheelbase.
OME springs are going to give you about a 2" lift over stock height.

Ok so Spike, are you satasfied with those springs?? What shocks did you end up going with??

Anyone else with any input feel free to jump in.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a Terra firma or ome set and be done with it

Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have not bought them yet Pancho.
Spike spends all of his time in the slow lane.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did Terrafirma Med Duty and all new bushings, tie arms, steering bits too,etc. The good thing about neglecting your truck is that when you need to do something you really need to do everything. It hurts, you do it, then everything is new again.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had OME 763s in the front and 764s in the rear(3"lift) empty it wasnt a very good ride but with 4 adults, gear, and cooler it was close to factory ride. I would almost think a MD spring setup would probably be about the best for your situation in my opinion.