Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   So what did you do to your Disco today? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/so-what-did-you-do-your-disco-today-48479/)

jeff spahn 03-27-2012 08:30 AM

So what did you do to your Disco today?

5 Attachment(s)
We have a post like this on the Porsche forum that is fun to read and add to on a daily basis. I searched and didn't see anything on the Disco 1 side so I figured give it a shot and see if people contribute.

I'll start.

Put in a new steering box. Most of it was easy. The rebuilt box had kind of buggered up threads on the input shaft so I had to put the u-joint on first and then install the steering shaft after the box was in the car. You may ask, how can you do that when the steering shaft/u-joint goes past in the input shaft when the steering box is installed?
Glad you asked. I mounted the bottom left bolt that attaches the steering box to the frame then rotated the steering box until I could just slide the steering shaft in the u-joint mounted on the steering box. Easy peasy. Took about 2 hours because I had to monkey with the buggered up input shaft on the steering box.

Some pics along the way.

Here's the goodness from RockAuto. About $450 delivered. I get $100 or so back when I return the core. If you get a rebuilt one, check it over carefully. I didn't and found out my input shaft had buggered up splines. Made the job take about 20 min extra dinking around. I have to now remove the steering wheel to get it on straight because of this messed up install.:mad:
Attachment 9229

Up on stands in the garage. No ramp under the driver side because I wanted the room to move the creeper under and the ramp got in the way. They are a double safety anyway and I left the jack under the car along with the jack stands on that side. Pointed it nose out so I could use daylight to help.
Attachment 9233

This freaking bolt was stripped by either the PO's shop or from the factory. Had to use a nut splitter to get it off. Use a torque wrench people!:eek:
Attachment 9227

You'll need either a 34mm socket or a 1-5/16 socket to get the pitman arm off the steering box. Really like the simple design of the lock washer. 130 ft/lbs when you put it back on remember.
Attachment 9231

A good torque wrench makes everything go smoother. Pricey but well worth it. Bought this when I rebuilt the engine in my 928. It's a Snap-On Tech Angle 1/2" drive.:D
Attachment 9232

Higgs Boson 03-27-2012 09:16 AM

Just a heads up. Advanceauto lists a reman box for the DI at $201+ a core charge of I forget how much.

I only have to top it off every few months, though it looks like it leaks constantly. For now I'm watching it, eventually I may bite the bullet and get one of these reman boxes.

Today I did nothing but drive my Disco home from work (3rd shift).

Chris-bob 03-27-2012 10:38 AM

We have a thread like this too, in the 'Roaming with Friends' section.

jeff spahn 03-27-2012 10:54 AM

Yes I saw that but this is Disco 1 specific "what did you do"

ngarover 03-27-2012 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by jeff spahn (Post 308444)
Yes I saw that but this is Disco 1 specific "what did you do"

Worked on my F350 to solve a bad oil leak so I could go and tow the 95 home... does that count? :D

Sam95disco 03-27-2012 07:39 PM

Nothing, the HG has a leak and she ran hot. So she's just parked till I get parts and time :(

Spike555 03-27-2012 08:41 PM

I just drove mine to work and back with no issues at the break neck speed of 60mph while I streamed Saturdays CarTalk that I missed.
So I guess you could say that I enjoyed my truck, does that count?

T/E 03-27-2012 08:46 PM

drove it with my fingers crossed my front end doesn't let go, as I'm currently in the process of painting my daily driver.

Tim08 03-27-2012 08:49 PM

I replaced the front gille from when my wife took out a mailbox in the snow...:mad:

oilspotLR 03-27-2012 09:52 PM

Replaced my rear seats that were ripped up with newer used rear seats that weren't ripped up! Does that count?!?!