Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   SRS light on after replacing ignition switch? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/srs-light-after-replacing-ignition-switch-49297/)

DiscoJonny 04-26-2012 01:01 PM

SRS light on after replacing ignition switch?

I've recently replaced my ignition lock assembly and starter motor on my '97 Disco 1. Now that it is back together, the car works fine but the SRS light on the dash has lit up. I checked & rechecked the assembly, and all the pins, connectors and fuses are good. The only thing that I had to move that was related to the SRS system was the foam block at the base of the steering column, in order to connect the wiring system. Since there is no wires on that foam block, I can't see how I would have triggered an SRS issue.

The ignition lock assembly I got was a used unit, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps the unit was in a truck that was wrecked, and the airbags had deployed. If that's the case, there would have to be a switch of some sort in the ignition assembly itself, which seems odd to me.

I tried hooking up my buddies' scanner to the port, but as it is a LR they don't play very nicely. The only code I could get was ISO-9141-2, which from what I can gather is a general error code.

Beyond sticking a piece of electrical tape over the light, does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks.

Spike555 04-26-2012 07:30 PM

The ignition switch will not know if the truck was wrecked or not.
Lower the steering wheel all the way.
Remove the 2 phillips screws, remove the instrument cowel.
Remove the SRS bulb.
Put it back together.
Done.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 04-28-2012 09:35 AM

Aren't there some sort of contacts associated with the SRS in the Steering Wheel or that area?

DiscoJonny 04-28-2012 09:37 AM

Is this a nicer version of tape-over-the-light, or does unscrewing the bulb and putting it back together somehow reset the system?

Savannah Buzz 04-28-2012 09:46 AM

Same as tape over the light.

priceg 04-28-2012 09:47 AM

If you did this repair with the battery connected, you my have had the key on and the clock spring unplugged at the same time.

Savannah Buzz 04-28-2012 09:54 AM

SRS module powered from same fuse (F14) as clock. Clock on? The SRS module also connects to the OBDII port, but would need an advanced scanner to read it. You can try the old unplug battery, step on brakes (dischage capacitors in the system), leave for an hour - perhaps it may clear.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 04-28-2012 10:00 AM

I know so little about the airbags that I avoid screwing with them just to be on the safe side.

In some states SRS activation is a big deal. Especially if the vehicle was involved in any sort of wreck.

DiscoJonny 04-28-2012 07:21 PM

Thanks! I'll try unplugging the battery and seeing if that fixes it. Otherwise maybe I'll have to get it scanned by a dealer. The clock is on, so that fuse should be ok, though I can replace it to be on the safe side.

Is there a chance that I could have messed with some wires when I put the new ignition assembly in there? Are there some contacts in that area that I should check, maybe take the whole thing apart and put it back together?