Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disco Automatic

How reliable are the disco automatics? I'm looking at a 1998 with 105k. How long do they usually last? i know there are alot of variables but what are you guys experiencing?

Some tranny's have a reputation for being bullet proof. I'm hoping these are in that category!

Last edited by ShaggySE7; 09-14-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ShaggySE7
How reliable are the disco automatics? I'm looking at a 1998 with 105k. How long do they usually last? i know there are alot of variables but what are you guys experiencing?
never been completely stranded by my disco (96-se7) so therefore very reliable. have multitude of little problems but these boards and resident guru's help tremendously. No matter how great the indy shop or dealer is you can't rely on them without spending a bundle.

going through my rebuild now...redoing everything really at 105K but I want to keep mine forever. key is doing as much stuff as you can by yourself. if you're not so experienced like me...you need a friend/mechanic and to at least research every problem and determine solutions best solutions for you.

as for suppliers and mechanics, like everything else, careful of the bad apples tossed in among the good guys. when you find the good guys...you'll truly appreciate them.

you can find out what "we" are experiencing...there are lots of threads that just about cover everything. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You've asked a very loaded question. Do you have the service records from the PO? Do you know what work has been done on it? Are you yourself handy with a fickle machine? A little more background is in order.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Mudding

I said what are you guys experiencing. And I know there are alot of variables. IE service history. I'm just wondering from all you guys that own them how they hold up in general. I'm not asking about the truck I'm looking at per say.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Pro Wrench

I said what are you guys experiencing. And I know there are alot of variables. IE service history. I'm just wondering from all you guys that own them how they hold up in general. I'm not asking about the truck I'm looking at per say.
you will get better answers giving more info about your interests (ie. daily driver vs. off road vehicle) and skillsets (do-it-yurself vs. bend over at the dealer). there are so many variables that one mans nightmare is anothers sunday project.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Winching

Mechanically they hold up very well, as long as you take care of them. When they do break they won't leave you stranded, you can generally limp them home. You have to stay ahead of the maintenance and do it routinely. The most common issues are relays, door locks, windows, moon roofs. Depending on where you live waterproof your ECU if you're in a flood prone state or plan on doing a lot of water crossing. In the sticky section, 1st post on the forum it'll tell you a lot of what you should look at when considering a used disco and what you should do when it's new to you.

Can't really tell you if you should buy or not, if you have even the slightest doubt about what you're getting yourself in to, especially if it's your DD then I'd prob stay away.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Mudding

Ok. i am new to disco's but I have a pretty extensive background in wheeling. I have had Toyota trucks. Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee. Chevy trucks and blazers and most recently a 1989 Toyota FJ-62. As far as wrenching goes 20years in the US Navy in aircraft maint. I have been all over the sticky. This will be a weekend toy and occasional driver to work for the snow days. So how many miles are some of you getting out of these tranny's? The truck I listed is just one I'm looking at. I am a manual guy at heart. I'm also looking at a 97 with a 5spd with 138k.

Originally Posted by adigerol77
Mechanically they hold up very well, as long as you take care of them. When they do break they won't leave you stranded, you can generally limp them home. You have to stay ahead of the maintenance and do it routinely. The most common issues are relays, door locks, windows, moon roofs. Depending on where you live waterproof your ECU if you're in a flood prone state or plan on doing a lot of water crossing. In the sticky section, 1st post on the forum it'll tell you a lot of what you should look at when considering a used disco and what you should do when it's new to you.

Can't really tell you if you should buy or not, if you have even the slightest doubt about what you're getting yourself in to, especially if it's your DD then I'd prob stay away.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Winching

The ZF trannys hold up really well. But I like you would rather have had a 5spd manual, but then again I really want a Defender 110. With all the variables you've outlined, you should have no trepidation at purchasing for the right price, especially since it's a wknd warrior and your wrenching experience.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Mudding

Thanks! I really want the 5spd but its black. UGH. I like silver and white! The auto with 105k is silver and looks nice so I will look it over when I go see it. He stated it overheated before and he took it to a mechanic and that the Tstat and coolant were replaced with no further issues?? I will be looking for the tell tale signs of head gasket issues for sure on that one. Are there any particular years that have had the slipped sleeve issue or can that be accross the board with all disco's? Anyhow I really would like to hear from all who have D1's with reports of milage and trans issues or wonderful success stories would be even better! On a side not my Toyota Land Cruiser was a dog with an automatic. How are the disco's? And I wish I could afford a defender!!!

Originally Posted by adigerol77
The ZF trannys hold up really well. But I like you would rather have had a 5spd manual, but then again I really want a Defender 110. With all the variables you've outlined, you should have no trepidation at purchasing for the right price, especially since it's a wknd warrior and your wrenching experience.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about 178xxx on my 99 without any transmission problems. I think the trans and the transfer case are almost bulletproof in these trucks with proper maintanance. As far as power goes my 99 is a major turd on the highways and big hills, but 33-12.50s will do that lol. The Mrs's has a 5 speed and its a lot nicer to drive power wise. As far as slipped liners thats mostly on the DII's with 4.6's, i havent heard of many issues with DI's dropping sleeves but it is possible.

Quick Reply: Disco Automatic