Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sunroof failure.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sunroof failure.

Just experienced sunroof failure. Took it apart and low and behold cheesy little square rollers. Broke alot of plastic on this thing. Guess I have to repair it if I want it working. COMING SOON: SUNROOF REPAIR KITS. I will be casting all the plastic pieces in this sunroof. They will be available just as soon as I make my molds and cast my own pieces to fix this thing. The kits will include everything plastic in the sunroof. Solid rollers, stoppers, guides, ETC. ETC.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your making a kit to sell or your bought a kit?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Winching

Making a kit. I do not see any such kit available anywhere. Not going to pay $200-$300 for a new sunroof when the parts will only cost around $10 to make. Here is a picture of the sunroof components. After examining them, I have found that my roller chassis was bent, two rollers broken and the travel spring disconnected. All from which w2as caused by one broken roller on the opposite side that wore a groove into the channel housing and got ****-eyed. These parts are too easy. I'm going to make replacements for everything except the channel housing and sunroof mount bracket. The channel housing is the large silver part. The sunroof mount bracket is the large black part. Everything else will be in the kit. Both sides have the same parts just reversed from eachother. I would like to hear from others which components have failed you?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/me...y2469-2879.jpg

Old 07-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another subscription......(on the "to do" list)....

Old 07-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Winching

Wow, I looked closer at this sunroof mechanics design today, getting ready to make the prototypes. Why in the world would anyone (Engineers) decide to connect the gear spring to the roller chassis like this. The plastic connection is about 2.5/16thW by 14/16thL. Thats not very strong, no wonder this thing broke. Now I have to re-design this whole outfit. Starting with makeing a new secure connection without much to work with. WOW. Thought I would be able to just mold the old part and cast it with a stronger material. Nope, now I have to find a better way.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/me...y2471-2880.jpg
https://landroverforums.com/forum/mem...y2469-2879.jpg

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 07-18-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Winching

Ok. Ready to kick this off. If you have a broken plastic piece on your gear spring, I can re-mold a new and stronger piece to it. My molds are ready for the gear spring plastic and the rollers and slides. If your main roller chassis ( the composite metal piece) is broken or bent like mine, unfortunetly it will be another week before I can start replaceing this part with something stronger. I'm looking into replaceing the old spring gear with a new one that I can just toss in a kit. But for now, if you send me your broken parts I can re-mold all the plastic parts and send them back. Minus the roller chassis for now. PM me.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Subscribed for when I have money.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Winching

This is how sunroof repairs will have to work. Every sunroof has two 30 inch springs inside as a component that acts as the gear to move the window open and closed. Unfortunetly this spring is not easily obtained. Larger business's want me to place an order of hundreds with a contract. I do not think so. The spring is one of the major failing components. Attached to the spring is a plastic catch that inserts into the roller chassis. This roller chassis is what controls the function of pushing or pulling a few other components to open and close the glass. The plastic end of the spring is molded on. Which means I will need everyones old springs sent to me in order to replace the plastic catch with a new stronger piece. All the other components can go into a bag as a kit. Again, if your springs have broken plastic catch's they will have to be sent to me for repair. I'm ready to get your sunroofs working again. PM me for details. Parts are cheap. I can sell them all together or seperately based on your sunroof needs.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey - I'm researching sunroof repair for a LR Disco II and am having very little success. The rear sunroof is stuck and I assume it's the guide rail assembly but you can no longer obtain the part (EGM100192). These assemblies were going for $80 on eBay but are no longer. That said, I ASSUME it's the guide rails and not the motor (since that's the most common failure point). Anyway, I would simply like to get this repaired. The front sunroof is acting squirrely as well and I'm worried that I'll open it only to be left "stuck open". I also have two salvage sunroof motors that test as "good" in the unlikely event it's a motor failure. ANyone offer any help and/or repair locations (besides dealer) in the Tulsa, OK area?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

salvage yards - always part of any spring break vacation trip plans; dismantlers like Paul Grant who posts frequently on this forum. Both are great sources of unobtainium oem parts. Paul parts out what is decent and crushes the rest.

Then there is also a large tube of RTV, and unplug the motor.

Quick Reply: Sunroof failure.