Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Super Charger? Performance Chip? Too Good to Be True?! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/super-charger-performance-chip-too-good-true-38561/)

kenk 02-23-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by calebbo (Post 228749)
It was a joke guys.. no way I'm getting or even considered getting any of this..
From now on I'll put "sarcasm" next to my sarcastic posts or threads.

Don't do that, I like seeing people's panties in a bunch. That would take away all the entertainment value on here :D

Chris-bob 02-23-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by kenk (Post 228889)
Don't do that, I like seeing people's panties in a bunch. That would take away all the entertainment value on here :D

x75.687:D

Soccer Dad 02-23-2011 04:12 PM

Electric Turbo

I have experimented with the electric turbo about 7 years ago and it did work a bit...
First, i figured it out myself
Second, it only helped to increase mileage in winter city driving, no change on highway and summer.
Third it was a real pig to balance!
Not worth the effort.
Try it yourself: remove the airbox horn, run the engine at idle and blow air in with a hair dryer. Stalled didn't you? Right, so now the increase of air preassure must be too much, try to set up a variable nozzle or a relief valve, or your choice but trying to regulate the fan RPM doesn't work: not responsive enough.
It was complicated keeping it simple. I could add lots of electronics and servos and gauges and microprocessor and etc. Try to be as simple as possible and it won't be so hard to balance the setup.

I also messed with the IAT (intake Air Temperature) sensor to make the ECU think that the air was warmer. Maybe I'll try it again sometimes now that I've got an OT-2 scanner, maybe.

The best increase in mileage and power is from removing the cooling fan!
I'm now relying on the AC fans and the OT-2 (I monitor the ECT with it).
I'm waiting on the autorecycler for a '90 to '95 big V6 Taurus cooling fan motor and fan and shroud from a V8 Crown Victoria (I think it's a 2000) to convert to electric cooling. The low amp line is 30 amps and the high is 70 amps. I'ts the 70 amps that can be hard... try finding a 70 amps relay!
I'm planning to use an SCR (Silicon Controlled Rectifier, I've got an industrial one rated at 200 amps) in place of the relay.
I Think that I'll just use the 70 amps line but on a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to regulate the fan speed.

Wish me luck
SD

groundandpound 02-23-2011 04:25 PM

Glad you kept it simple!

You lost me after "I have experimented" :confused:

No sarcasm - my lack of understanding this post is so complete, I don't even know if your serious.

Where is that damn Google Translate App....

calebbo 02-23-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Soccer Dad (Post 228978)
I have experimented with ??????????????????
???????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
BlaH blaH BLAH????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????
???????????????????????????????????????????????... .Good Luck SD

Originally Posted by groundandpound (Post 228986)
You lost me after "I have experimented" :confused:

No sarcasm - my lack of understanding this post is so complete, I don't even know if your serious.

Where is that damn Google Translate App....

@Soccer Dad
.... good Luck! :D

@GAP
*nods head in approval/agreement*

Henrici 02-23-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Soccer Dad (Post 228978)
...The best increase in mileage and power is from removing the cooling fan!
I'm now relying on the AC fans and the OT-2 (I monitor the ECT with it)....
Wish me luck
SD

Really? scary lol. anyways this article explains why the cheap electric motor "supercharger" is a joke. Here's an excerpt:

"Now I try not to get technical most of the time, but here is a constantly reiterated fact about these things. A real supercharger, runs off of a pulley driven by the engines power. No electricity involved. They spin at 50,000+ RPM's! These things probably reach no more than 3,000. If these were to spin at 50,000 RPM's, I would not want to see the carnage left in your engine when it implodes."

After rolling the idea around for about 5 minutes I figured that if it was possible somebody way smarter than me woulda done it already. :D