Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tranny's slipping. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny's slipping. Any tips?

So my "new" 95 doesn't like to shift after it's nice and warmed up. First it was the 2-3 shift. I limped it home yesterday after repeated stops and 30 mph 1st and 2nd. My buddy owns a tranny shop so we looked for some known issues in the ATSG site. Nothing specifically under range rover but we did see some info under BMW (looks like the both ran the 4HP22).

Any tips or advice on known issues or same experiences out there? I did see this. Transmission Diagnosis & Repair

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles? Have you done any service to it? Need more info please.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Three Wheeling

151k on the chassis. The intake shows a 4.2 manifold. I pulled the serial off the block in hopes I could verify it.

No service yet. I bought it from a guy who picked it up from a owner who sent it off for scrap. Needless to say, I don't know the history but for $800 it's a toss up to keep. I hated to see this one die...

Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

First place to start would be with a fluid and filter change.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

At this age and service intervals unknown - you don't have much to risk with Lucas transmission treatment (thickens up what you got, so it will shift better). Drain and refill and filter change might help, but usually once you are to this point you will need something. I limped a Montero Sport with a slipping when warmed up tranny for another 100K with Lucas.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys for the encouragement and help. I know my friend will help with the tranny but I hate to take advantage of that. I figured I'll try somethings like the Lucas and do homework before I drop it at his door!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hallfleming
Thanks guys for the encouragement and help. I know my friend will help with the tranny but I hate to take advantage of that. I figured I'll try somethings like the Lucas and do homework before I drop it at his door!
Nah do it yourself. If it's already broken you can't break it anymore. In the tech section there is a myriad information on how to do fluid service yourself. Trust me, it's a great lesson.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why try an additive when you know you need to change the filter and fluid? Just save some money and do it right the first time.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 AM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No additives. If you have week components as you are stateing, thick additives will just apply more pressure and cause an early death. Pull the vavle body out and replace the pressure solenoid. Most problems exist with the solenoid. I have seen transmissions with really warn down clutch packs get new solenoids and act new again. Slipping is usually caused by pressure problems which is caused by the pressure solenoid. The coil gets week after time due to heat and life cycle.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Great info. Is there just 1 pressure solenoid for the whole unit?

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME
No additives. If you have week components as you are stateing, thick additives will just apply more pressure and cause an early death. Pull the vavle body out and replace the pressure solenoid. Most problems exist with the solenoid. I have seen transmissions with really warn down clutch packs get new solenoids and act new again. Slipping is usually caused by pressure problems which is caused by the pressure solenoid. The coil gets week after time due to heat and life cycle.

Quick Reply: Tranny's slipping. Any tips?