Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transfer Case Whine - time before its completely shot

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 12:40 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Whine - time before its completely shot

Hello,

I bought a 1996 Disco 1 with 215k miles on it, few weeks back, love the feel and looks of it. However, noticed what seems like a transfer-case whine. It pitches up with the speed and gas pedal pressed. If I let go of the gas pedal, it quiets down. Local mechanic told me its for sure a transfer-case. I did change the oil to 85W140 - transfer-case and both diffs. Didn't help the noise.

So, my question - how long can I get away with the noise before it completely dies (and what will happen when it fails while driving?) and should i risk buying a used one for 250-500$ or should i really invest in a rebuild one for 1500$? There are a lot of other smaller issues that I need repairing...

Old 10-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

these trucks all have transfer case whine to some extent. it's not unusual.

i switched to a synthetic gear oil, can't remember the weight, in my '96 and it definitely quieted it down.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

With all due respect, have you owned a vehicle with a transfer case before? They make noise, and the Disco's is no exception. Mine whines as well, it's pretty much par for the course in a car that's old enough to drink alcohol... You'll get used to it. People aren't kidding when they say that you should just turn the radio up. It'll help you stay sane until you can actually fix the things that are wrong.

When you changed the t-case oil, did you use a magnet to see if there were any metal shavings in the bottom of the case?

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (11-03-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 09:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I would buy one used and go through it before installing. At this point most available are going to have high mileage.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by vanbadri
With all due respect, have you owned a vehicle with a transfer case before? They make noise, and the Disco's is no exception.
Not exactly..... only the gear to gear type, not the chain driven. I could hear a gnat pinch one off in my Heep with NP242.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:29 AM
Drifting

Thanks for replies! So, my "whine" sounds exactly like this in the video here -
. When I changed oil, the magnet plug did have some metal shavings on it. But overall, it looked like someone didn't change the oil there for years...

I dont mind the noise at all, I drive 1977 Datsun 280Z, and that makes all kinds of noises that i'm used to...

I just don't want the car to lock up wheels while I'm driving it 70mph on a highway...

Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hard to say from the video, could be the front diff, could be the tires, could just be normal t-case noise. From what I can hear, mine makes the same exact noise, especially on slowing down like yours did. Have you done the diff oil as well? If it's the transfer case, the noise should be coming from pretty much right underneath the center console bin.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Drifting
Default Actual video

I was able to take a video this morning of my actual car. See youtube link below

It is definitely coming from transfer-case. I'm just wondering if this is way above normal noise. Like i said before, i don't mind it, i just don't know if I should be driving it like that and expect it to last long?

Old 10-22-2018, 05:42 PM
Camel Trophy

With 215k on it it's gonna sing in the soprano range a wee bit more than the baritone eh. I listened to the vid and it was like a home coming..... but hell no I don't miss it. I still suggest buying a used and rehab it just because there where issues with the original that can be fixed with kits. Here's a good info site - https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.c...fer-boxes.html

Old 10-25-2018, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

While they will make noise inherently(they are a gear drive, and that is par for the course) yours DOES sounds a bit excessive. If oil is truly new and filled up to capacity, it may be worth it/time to start hunting for a used/refurbed transfer case and doing a swap.

I dont think it is a ticking time bomb just yet, though

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Whine - time before its completely shot