Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Um, grumbling from below

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Um, I was talking about my D2...um no. How am I gonna get any work done if you don't start posting until 7AM? I had a great spot for that unnecessary ball kit right next to some useless stuff I bought from AB.

So you did both front and back? Bought the same u joints Tom did? So all you needed was the 4 u-joints?

So does this Neapco joint have a zerk which I guess is a place to grease it? I can't see anything on the description pic.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You have D1 and D2?

On D1 there are just three U joints. I used the ones he entioned. Advance Auto Parts I think, could have been Auto Zone. You'll need to follow Tom's write up on the prop shaft of the D2.

The zerk fitting will come in a small plastic bag and you screw it in to the small threaded hole provided.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Pro Wrench

yes D1 and D2 (2002 wifes).

ok, the 3 u joints. not sure how i calculated 4 but ok. i'm going to get them and try and get it done this week.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced my early 97 DI rear d/s with one from a 98 DI because my rotoflex was damaged and the 3 bolt flange was broken on the d/s. I have an extra rear 3 bolt flange I will send you since I no longer need it.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I replaced my early 97 DI rear d/s with one from a 98 DI because my rotoflex was damaged and the 3 bolt flange was broken on the d/s. I have an extra rear 3 bolt flange I will send you since I no longer need it.
That package is getting bigger. I might have to rush the driveshaft as I won't be able to drive it.

I'm not sure I understand tho. I haven't learned enough yet about it but I'm working to get up to speed so I can at least take the parts to a shop to help me finish. I replaced the rotoflex this summer when I was doing my suspension. Now I understand It's a dodgy component and should/can be replaced. Should I bother if its new and working? If I get the parts Tom says do I need this flange? Does my 2" Terrafirma medium change anything about all of it? And I'm not sure the driveshaft is the problem (although sure sounds like it from what I read) apparently doing this job is critical anyway.

I also don't know what to make of the connection to the rear differential (see pic above). It's obviously leaking so maybe I need a new seal or clean out and relube or something.

Just trying to avoid doing stuff twice and getting hit on shipping time and costs. I'm already adding to my list SB's suggestions although I don't fully understand it yet.

-check connections and clean up on starter and cables, diffs and transfer case
-drain & fill (85W140)
-transfer case reseal inspection plate
-both axles pull out banjo bolt that vents the diff oil (clean it and blow out lines),
-service swivels,
-inspect front crank seal for leak, tranny fluid and filter change

Looks like I can get anything I need here, unless one of the above inspections yields a new problem.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Pro Wrench

OK, I'm totally procrastinating scraping rust and tar off my floor. They should make the whole truck out of that tar...it's f'n hard.

Wish I could figure out how to get that clip off the top of my shift handle. I keep looking for the instructions but I cant figure the fkr out. It's probably so dumb I'll have to change my name here. Trying to get the center console out. SO I can climb thru there to get to my driveshaft. No just kidding. Still trying to get it out tho.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You need ramps or jack stands, no need to go thru the console. I'm 6'3" 255 and i can fit under there - a land whale trapped by a Disco...

Maybe that "tar" is undercoating?

Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Pro Wrench

I was joking about going through the console. I'm trying to get it off to get all the carpet and padding scraps out from around the console bottom. I'm also going to spray it.

Tar is on top of the floor, under the padding...and it's tough.