Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   V8 -> 300TDI Conversion (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/v8-300tdi-conversion-47364/)

calebbo 02-10-2012 11:11 AM

V8 -> 300TDI Conversion

Hey guys, I feel like this is going to be a great build thread since I will literally be starting from idea/planning, to buying parts, to actual installation over a long period of time. It might be awhile. I'll be in the Marine Corps starting in May, when I leave for Basic and I won't be back for about 5 months including combat and MOS training. I'll be joining the Reserves so I can finish school but I have to commute to Gulfport, MS one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. That's a 5 hour drive and about 300 miles. My wallet and Claire won't get along so I will be getting a new car with better gas mileage and keeping Claire (1995 D1) as a project, hence the idea of a diesel swap :) Alright, back on subject.

First of all, what is all needed just to do the swap? Here are some things from Land Rover Import that are just basic necessities for a swap.

Here is the list plus where I am getting it from, how much, and questions since I am totally new to diesel engines.

-300TDi Engine Rebuilt
[Land Rover Import] - $5800
[Comes with new timing belt kit, new clutch, new engine seals and gaskets, rebuilt fuel injection pump, new water pump, lift pump, vacuum pump, and turbo tested. Basically, I do not plan on personally rebuilding this at all, is there anything else that I would need to ask them to replace?]

-300TDi Engine Mounts
[I'm sure I can get these fabricated but I was wondering if there was a vendor that sold them?]

-Manual 300TDi Transmission Rebuilt
[Land Rover Import] - $1750

-Remove fuel pump in fuel tank
[The 300TDi uses the Bosche VE right? So obviously I need to remove the old V8 pump but does the new one install in the same area? It is included in the engine rebuild so is it on the engine?]

-Remove plastic insert in fuel filler neck
[What for?]

-Remove in line fuel filter
[Where does the new one install at? If I remove my old fuel filter I need to make the line complete since it was [Line] [Filter] [Line] and now I removed the filter there are just to ends of the line. Am I right? I heard the diesel fuel filter mounts to the firewall. Is this true?]

-custom clutch lines if a manual transmission
[....I don’t even know what to ask. What kind of lines do I need? I might just let the shop handle this.]

-custom power steering lines
[From the power steering pump to the steering components right?]

-wiring loom can be tapped into to connect temp sender, oil warning light, alternator warning light, tacho, starter wiring stays the same, coil power goes to the injection pump.
[Will this be a headache or is this pretty simple? Splice the wires together and be done?]

-Radiator/intercooler drops in to replace V8 unit
[Where can I get an upgraded intercooler?]

-Exhaust system is best taken care of by your local muffler shop

jafir 02-10-2012 12:30 PM

Assuming that you get 13 MPG better than the current engine, the $7550 that you spend on the engine and transmission alone, would take you over 24,000 miles to break even, at $4 per gallon.

calebbo 02-10-2012 12:33 PM

But see that's okay, because I want to keep the Rover for a long time. It has sentimental value :) and it would be a really cool project.

jafir 02-10-2012 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by calebbo (Post 298918)
But see that's okay, because I want to keep the Rover for a long time. It has sentimental value :) and it would be a really cool project.

Yep. That's the only real reason to do a engine swap of this type, is because you want to. It will never work out as far as the pocket book is concerned, just with fuel economy.

Speaking of cool.... I just noticed that a couple of houses down from me someone has an Acura NSX in the garage and an actual Discovery XD, with the special vehicles tag on the back, parked in the drive way.

calebbo 02-10-2012 12:59 PM

My cousin has one of the older NSX's and he babies that thing! I can't wait for the new NSX's haha they look NICE!

(Anybody have any answers to my questions?) haha

ValveCoverGasket 02-10-2012 01:21 PM

if the 300tdi is a mechanical diesel, it really will be as simple as hooking up an ignition power wire to the fuel stop solenoid, providing power to the starter wiring, and firing it up.

as for the fuel pump... im not familiar with the rover diesels, but if this is anything like the mechanical vw diesels, itll only have the one pump on the engine which will suck fuel out of the tank - no in tank pump to worry about, just a hose with a filter.
this also means if you have any air leaks in that line youre in for trouble :) but with some clear feed tube to the main pump its easy enough to keep an eye on.

you can get aftermarket intercoolers all over the place online... silicone intakes (do a google search, i forget their website...) sells a lot of chinese stuff thats actually pretty decent quality. lots to choose from there dimension wise, do this last once everything else is already in place...

diesels are fun, i can understand the interest in doing the swap.
its good to have a budget like youre doing, just plan on spending 50% more than you planned on by the time youre done hah

yloDiscoII 02-10-2012 01:49 PM

PM TDIdreamer. He put a 300 in his DI. Got to see it first hand and it's pretty bada$$.

hilltoppersx 02-10-2012 02:46 PM

i dunno man.. this is an awfully big project for you to take on. i have a better grasp of what is needed and i won't be doing this. it's cheaper to import a diesel defender and have a whole new truck.

if you're dead set on a diesel swap I would suggest something with less electronics like the 200tdi or even a OM617 there was a buddy of mine who put an OM617 in his D1. he did a write up on it and a few youtube videos.

as for your initial post diesels have a different fuel neck then petrol engines, that's why it has to be replaced. again, you'd be better off with an entire diesel fuel system, tank, neck lines and all instead of trying to retrofit it on to your truck.

whatever you choose to do good luck and take lots of pics!

wheelgarage 02-10-2012 02:51 PM

I did my research on this also a few weeks ago. Since I live in California, i found it to be impossible to do.

In addition, '96 and on are OBDII.....there is another big issue to address.....

Engine mounts are available. I do not recall who make them, but there is a guy that has them available....sorry, do not remember where I found it.

Fuel tank just needs the required pump and neck parts.

In regards to the intercooler, there are many companies in the UK.

Actually, there are a few companies in the UK that can help you out and supply the parts directly. Go to your last copy of Land Rover Monthly and go the back. There is a big list of companies...

tweakrover 02-10-2012 02:53 PM

Isn't your truck pretty rusted out, it would be a shame to do a tdi swap on any disco unless it had a pristine body and interior.