Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Want diagnosing help: rough idle at warm start-up (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/want-diagnosing-help-rough-idle-warm-start-up-47625/)

Danny Lee 97 Disco 03-04-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 302575)
The fact that you have to "give it gas" to get the stumble to clear up is a sign fuel is leaking through the injectors into the cylinders. You actually aren't giving it gas, you are giving it more air to help burn the excess fuel. P1178 often shows up shortly before the fuel pump pukes.

Really??

I had P1178 until I cleaned the MAF.

Chris-bob 03-05-2012 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon (Post 303883)
Touche. And for the most part, I don't need to. However, I'd like to know if I can expect my fuel pump to go or have leaky injectors etc. so I can be proactive rather than get stranded...and obviously I don't want to just fix all possibilities for no reason.

Leaky injectors still seems to be my first guess, but the fuel pressure gauge didn't confirm it as the truck held pressure steady at 37psi after turned off for at least 20 minutes.

If you are worried about the fuel pump failing on you, just purchase one and store it in the Disco with the appropriate tools for the time when it does fail. But there is no way to know when a fuel pump will fail. There can be symptoms, but they are only educated guesses at best. No point in replacing it if it is working. I'd look elsewhere first if all the gauge readings are within spec.

Cosmic88 03-06-2012 08:09 AM

Testies---one, two.....

Originally Posted by Chris-bob (Post 304039)
But there is no way to know when a fuel pump will fail. There can be symptoms, but they are only educated guesses at best. No point in replacing it if it is working. I'd look elsewhere first if all the gauge readings are within spec.

Mostly true...But there is one semi-decent way of telling a weak pump from a strong / new one by pinching off the return line and watching the pressure. I recently had some stumble issues and under heavy load my 95 would throw a 45 code (right bank). chased down a bunch of possibilities and narrowed it down to a tired pump. Determined this when I pinched off the return line, post FPR, at the rubber part of the return line as is comes off the rail and down toward the chassis.

When pinched the pressure of my old pump only peaked up to 75 psi... with a new and strong pump it will reach well over 100 psi. Do not hold that line pinched for long... I replaced my pump assembly (sweet deal from PT Schram). Whether that was the entire problem solved or not only time and testing will tell.

:cool:

DiscoIIBrandon 03-06-2012 09:45 AM

Fuel & Air

Question: if fuel isn't the culprit at warm start-up stumbling...could it be air or lack of?

More specifically: the diaphragm inside of the black cylinder (brake booster?) is clearly worn/torn/not sealing and every time I put pressure on the brakes it sounds like a tire releasing air. I have a replacement on the way to fix this issue anyways, but I'm wondering if that could possibly be the culprit of the stumbling too.

I guess we will find out once I get it in...but I'm equally interested in the understanding and diagnosing of these problems. Will report back soon.

Chris-bob 03-06-2012 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon (Post 304198)
Question: if fuel isn't the culprit at warm start-up stumbling...could it be air or lack of?

More specifically: the diaphragm inside of the black cylinder (brake booster?) is clearly worn/torn/not sealing and every time I put pressure on the brakes it sounds like a tire releasing air. I have a replacement on the way to fix this issue anyways, but I'm wondering if that could possibly be the culprit of the stumbling too.

I guess we will find out once I get it in...but I'm equally interested in the understanding and diagnosing of these problems. Will report back soon.

Not related. Most likely, the 'silencer/piece of foam' that is installed on the booster to keep you from hearing the air moving in and out of the cab side of the booster when you apply the brakes is deteriorated. If you had a torn diaphragm, you would have no power brakes, just manual brakes and a large vacuum leak.

95swb 07-01-2018 08:54 PM

Did you ever figure out the rough idle at warm start?

Have the same issue with a 95.

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon (Post 300985)
*Updated info*
Have the same issue long story short the car stumbles and stalls sometimes at hot start-up and is running rich. Raw fuel smell sometimes after shutting off, not sure about while starting.

I've got a fuel pressure gauge on it and am leaving it on all weekend to keep watch, but here's what I've gotten so far.

Hot idle: steady 32 psi
Turned off hot: steady 37 psi for at least 20 minutes
During stumble at hot start up: steady 32 psi
After sitting for a couple hours: currently around 20 psi

Cold Start ups: no stumble, starts right up no problem

Anything of note from these results?

I'm not sure how it could be related, but I think my brake booster diaphragm is toast - because whenever I apply pressure to my brakes it sounds like I'm airing down a tire. Brake's work fine like normal and pedal is normal, doesn't go to floor and isn't stiffer than normal. Any possible relation?

Also, I have a tick when warmed up and under load, the tick speed and loudness parallel heat and load (acceleration).
DIIB

Johnny K 07-10-2018 12:03 PM

Any resolution on this? My 95 just started idling rough and at 500 rpms. Seems to be missing, but im not sure. had to limp to work and haven't been able to get out and inspect, but it sure sounds like your description. I drove 5 minutes this morning, stopped went in to the store, came out, drove to the commissary, and when i came out, some 10 minutes later, it wouldn't start- then when it did start after about 5 minutes of wait, it ran very rough and only at 500 rpms or a little below.

any ideas? I have the coolant temp sensor to replace, but i dont think that is the issue. The only other possibility i've found is fuel injectors, but i am only regurgitating what i've read on this site.

thanks,

johnny

Johnny K 07-10-2018 02:27 PM

Nevermind, i guess. I started it up at lunch and after sitting for 3 hours, everything was back to normal.

Wonder if i flooded it a little when it didn't start up right away. Weird.

ihscouts 07-10-2018 03:43 PM

The coolant sensor is a good start. They can effect hot starts. Once you replace that then we'll see what shakes out.

Johnny K 07-10-2018 07:47 PM

well, i now have my saturday project!