Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Water coming in passenger footwell relay panel

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Water coming in passenger footwell relay panel

Got the sunroofs and windshield leaks fixed. But when I do the water test, as water runs down the passenger A pillar, tons of it comes out on the right side of the footwell, all over the relays and wires down there. How do I fix this? And is this a common issue?

Old 06-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YouTube has videos

Old 06-27-2018, 12:04 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

If you get a chance pull your front inner fender covers that are easily removed from the wheel area and check the seam of the inner fender to body as the original seam sealant will be gone or deteriorated, if that is the case the solution that I used was to pull off both front fenders, wire wheel the seam and remove any old seam sealer. Spray self etchant primer on the bare metal let dry and apply Flex Seal spray. The other thing that I did on both inner fenders was to drill a hole on the inner structure bar so water can drain when it accumulates from water running down the windshield along the A-pillar then entering between the fender and inner fender body panel. After drilling a hole also treat it with self etchant primer and finally with Flex Seal. I haven't had water since that repair. # 16 is the area that needs to be cleaned, resealed, and the red bulls eye is where I drilled two holes, one below in the corner where water could fill up then leak inside, and one on the exterior side of that so I could clean it out spray it with self etchant primer then spray with Flex Seal. The issue is that water gets into that channel fills the area, sits and rusts, then enters the rover and pools in the foot wells. The drain hole is needed so the water can drain and the second hole is needed so you can clean the area then seal it through the second access hole.

Attached Thumbnails Water coming in passenger footwell relay panel-inner-fender-sealing.jpg  

Last edited by Icannap1; 06-27-2018 at 01:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lrnoob (06-27-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Mudding

Well, I tore open both fenders. There is new looking sealant all in that area. I can't find any holes, gaps, or tears in it.

Did more water tests. No leaks whatsoever pouring water all the way from the ground up to about 3/4 of the way up the A pillar.

But any higher than that, either on the side of the windshield, or above where the water channels take the roof water into the A pillar along the windshield, and a fountain of water pours right into the relay box.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the sunroof drain tube at the sunroof under the head liner? They are known to break.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:42 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The HVAC housing leaks and the wiring harness firewall grommet leaks. Advice above sounds solid- keep exploring.

lrnoob (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 PM
Mudding

Sunroofs are good. This is only happening when I pour water at the top of the windshield and at the top of the A pillar.

Will check that grommet and HVAC housing!

Old 06-28-2018, 10:30 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

You can always clean all areas, dry, and spray clear Flex seal on and around seams, grommets, and let dry. Check for leaks after it has dried for at least a day. If the leaks are only coming from the top around the windshield temporary tape the windshield molding surrounding then apply water if the leak is gone you will need to reseal the windshield molding it does have a tendency of leaking around the molding. Another place to look is below the lower plastic cowl below the windshield there is 3 pieces, a center longer part where the wipers go through, and the 2 corner pieces. Below the two end pieces there is a plastic grommet that may be missing or not properly seated, clean the area and spray clear Flex seal around it and all joints. You can also check around the door seals by the door stopper from opening all the way you will see a foam seal around that if it is missing that would be an area where water can get in spray Flex seal around the door boot where the wiring goes through for the door wiring.

Last edited by Icannap1; 06-28-2018 at 10:49 PM.
lrnoob (06-28-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 01:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

i would recommend using the Flex Shot clear. The spray can of flex seal is messy imo. I used it, and for applications like a gutter or flashing, it works fine. But for window trim on a Disco i would want a more accurate application. Just my two cents.

Last edited by stillruns; 06-29-2018 at 01:39 PM.
lrnoob (06-30-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:53 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdo58
YouTube has videos
I know this is old.. but Kdo58 you say there are videos? love to see them if you are correct - I have searched but cannot find any except a couple on Defenders getting water through door seals.

Quick Reply: Water coming in passenger footwell relay panel