Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is this?

My ultra guage threw a pending code at me this morning via alarm when driving to school. I checked to see what it is and it is and the code is P1179.
Looked up the code on a Land Rover trouble code website and it says the code is "Maximum Negative AMFR Correction Fault."

What in the world is this and what is wrong?

Btw, the ultra guage is now my land rover's best friend.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This codes relates to ECM activity in terms of correcting a rich or lean fuel mixture. Your particular code is: Maximum Positive Air Mass Flow Rate (AMFR) correction fault. P1179 is the other end of the scale is Maximum Negative AMFR correction fault. It would seem you would have to investigate the reason your fuel mixture is beyond the correction abilities of your ECM. First, make sure you have a clean air filter and replace it if it is time to do so. Next, check for leaking or cracked intake manifold hoses and check for intake manifold leaks by spraying starter fluid around the base of the intake manifold with the engine idling. Finally, check connections to the Mass Air Flow sensor and clean the MAF sensor wire with CRC sensor spray. Beyond these simple steps, the next steps would require removal and cleaning of the throttle body, but in most cases the steps outlined cure the problem. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

clear the code. wait for it to come back. if it comes back as 1179 again. then as stated above get some CRC cleaner and clean your MAF.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Lindy
This codes relates to ECM activity in terms of correcting a rich or lean fuel mixture. Your particular code is: Maximum Positive Air Mass Flow Rate (AMFR) correction fault. P1179 is the other end of the scale is Maximum Negative AMFR correction fault. It would seem you would have to investigate the reason your fuel mixture is beyond the correction abilities of your ECM. First, make sure you have a clean air filter and replace it if it is time to do so. Next, check for leaking or cracked intake manifold hoses and check for intake manifold leaks by spraying starter fluid around the base of the intake manifold with the engine idling. Finally, check connections to the Mass Air Flow sensor and clean the MAF sensor wire with CRC sensor spray. Beyond these simple steps, the next steps would require removal and cleaning of the throttle body, but in most cases the steps outlined cure the problem. Good luck!
Great! I have it narrowed down already since a few of these things have already been done. I'm thinking it could be either the intake manifold leaking or a dirty mass airflow sensor. I'll just have to check them out and see what's up.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Leave your MAF alone and look towards the 02's, how many miles on your engine and have you changed all 4 02's yet?
Read this link.

Land-Rover P1179 OBD/DLC Error Code -

Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Leave your MAF alone and look towards the 02's, how many miles on your engine and have you changed all 4 02's yet?
Read this link.

Land-Rover P1179 OBD/DLC Error Code -
Engine has 82k miles. The 02's have never been replaced.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Using your Ultra-Gauge watch the O2 readings, specifically the fronts, watch the voltage changes, they should be frequent and big changes, like from .95v to .20v then .45v etc.
Those are not the numbers you need, just giving you examples of what to look for.
Also watch your MAF readings and it is recommended to clean your MAF once a year.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Using your Ultra-Gauge watch the O2 readings, specifically the fronts, watch the voltage changes, they should be frequent and big changes, like from .95v to .20v then .45v etc.
Those are not the numbers you need, just giving you examples of what to look for.
Also watch your MAF readings and it is recommended to clean your MAF once a year.
So a constant voltage means a good or bad sensor?

Also, what is the name of the gauge that I need to set up? I don't remember seeing one while scrolling through the list that said "02 sensor voltage" or something like that.

Last edited by ESPN; 01-08-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No a constant voltage is not what you want, the O2 voltage needs to change constantly, if it is slow to change or does not change at all the sensor is bad or on its way out.

I dont know the exact name of the page, but it is the O2 page.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bank 1 & 2 (sensors 1) should be changing -/+, adjusting to throttle changes.

Bank 1 & 2 (sensors 2) should almost constant number, hovering around 14.