Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What kind of tools do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of tools do you use?

I'm not sure if this a specific D1 topic... but I'm curious as to what kind of tools everyone uses to work on their D1's? What do you absolutely need to have anytime you're about to do work on your truck?

And does anyone have a tool kit on their truck? What's in it?

Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I carry a $10 socket set from AutoZone in my truck as well as a $10 spanner set from Sears, channel locks, 16 oz claw hammer and a machete.
A 1/2" breaker bar is my tire tool, that also works on the diffs and t-case.
As for my home tools, I use various tools that I have collected over the years.
I've learned to buy cheap tools because my kids loose them all the time, I cant tell you how many times I have found a rusty screw driver in the back yard after the snow melts because my son was working on something.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Three Wheeling

I currently don't carry any tools in my rig but if I go off road I load up tools for sure.

For the garage. I have alot of craftsman sockets, mixed pliers, adjustable wrenches, craftsman wrenches, craftsman professional screwdrivers, century welder (no gas yet), and all my other power tools.

My absolute must have fav tool is my Klein 10-1 multi function screwdriver.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

a cell phone so i can call triple AAA to tow my broke a$$ rig back home.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Winching

Tool roll has large channel locks, large adjustable wrench, 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets and sockets, screwdriver, pliers, gorilla tape, electrical tape, wire ties, etc... shop is just about everything snap-on makes and some MAC and s-k tools.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to start a tool collection. If you buy cheap poor quality, they will break, slip, screw things up like your body parts and Rover parts when they do fail.

I like the impact sockets 1/2 inch drive size. Also get a good heavy duty ratchet and large breaker bar. The longer the lever arm, the easier it is to break something loose without breaking yourself or the parts.

Also buy lots of PB Blaster when it is on sale or buy the gallon jug and a good spray bottle. I hate it when the can has fluid but no air pressure left in it.

If you can afford a good set of flex head Gear Wrenches in metric size, they beat the hell out of any regular or cheap *** socket set. Sometimes, access is very limited, the close precison gearing of the real Gear Wrenches will allow you to access and remove fasteners that cheaper tools will not provide. Most of the stuff made today is junk that will break first time you really need to do something. The last thing you need is a broken tool and a halfway finished job that you cannot complete because the cheapass tool broke. I hate hurting my hands, fingers, and other body parts. At my age, healing is slow.

An excellent source of good tools is estate sales, auctions where a business is or has closed, garage sales and even Craig's List. Good quality tools will last a long time if cared for. Cheap stuff breaks, by the time you keep buying replacements, you could have purchased a good quality.

Old Oil will clean up rust and such from high quality tools. Do not lend them to anyone. If someone leaves your tools out in the rain, slap them good. I have Diamond Cresent Wrenches that my Dad owned when I was a child and I just turned 60 on May 26.

Also buy a good digital multimeter. Lowes has an excellent GreenLee for about 30 bucks in a rugged enclosure. They are great for electrical troubleshooting.

If you buy tools at Harbor Freight, get their Pittsburgh Pro line of tools and keep up with the receipt. Those are the only ones they have with a Lifetime Warranty but they have become bitchy about the receipts. Get yourself a good binder or attache or something to keep all your receipts and other paperwork in.

I printed out most of the RAVE and cross tabbed in in separate Binders for easy reference. The better you keep up with that stuff, the more you will enjoy it in the long run. Buy Cheap, You Usually Regret IT. If you just absolutely got to have it and cannot afford anything else, go ahead and buy cheap. If you want it to do well and last a long time, invest in a good set and keep up with it.

I have done both and I will testify that the "Cheap" way is usually the most expensive way in the long run.

AAA and cell phones are great when you really need them.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy a good comfortable low profile heavy duty creeper and a good strong light. That way you can see for yourself what you have to deal with.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Im thinking about fabbing up a cool toolbox shelf/small workbench on the back door, Or maybe a roll out 4-5 drawer tool box and a workbench on the back door.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by skatelove303
Im thinking about fabbing up a cool toolbox shelf/small workbench on the back door, Or maybe a roll out 4-5 drawer tool box and a workbench on the back door.
Make sure you take pics of before and after your cargo door falls off from the added weight.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skatelove303
you will have to replace those hinges with something like these.

Load-Rated Surface-Mount Hinge W/Holes, 2000# Cap/Pr, Prime-Coat Stamped STL, 6" W

Quick Reply: What kind of tools do you use?