Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What should I do with it? (beat up disco)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Realistically its probably worth $500 as is (you didn't say if you had a title or not). However if you have the space/time (we know you don't) then you could take a few months and part it out for at least $1,500.

Here is what I would do:
If it was me I would find some used MT tires (as big as possible), cut the **** out of the fenders, rip everything except the drivers controls and 2 front seats out, and take it down to "MIOBI" for some wheeling fun (about 1.5hr south of us). Sell everything you don't need on it for wheeling and that should easily pay for tires and some Hella 700's or something. You will want lights on your wheeling truck but you do not have to use the trucks lights/wiring if its shot. Just run some fog lights to the battery and a switch inside (keep it simple). Keep in mind that junk yards around here might buy windows in the truck as well, the headliner, outside lens, Etc. None of this will be needed for wheeling.

When you have had you fun with the truck then sell it for $500 or continue to part it out from there.

When I told you the other day that I would buy it as well. This is exactly what I had planned for it. But I have some space for it and a trailer to take it to MIOBI.

P.S. - Google "MIOBI" and enjoy. Its our local south eastern Iowa trail area...

Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groundandpound
While I can't agree my point is that even THIS would be better than scrapping it.
If you do like that one - there are 4 more in the series...and he does crazier stuff than that.
I'd like to see the rest of the videos. I was probably a bit harsh on the Scotsman but then I'm not one for wanton destruction.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roverrocks
I'd like to see the rest of the videos. I was probably a bit harsh on the Scotsman but then I'm not one for wanton destruction.
They are numbered and, more than anything, really show that even when your TRYING to destroy a Disco - it's not as easy as it sounds.

I had to listen 3 times just to realize that he was speaking English...then I wish I hadn't because some of his comments are beyond stupid.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Rock Crawling

OUCH! I watched the other videos. These are seriously deranged Scotsmen! I can honestly say I hope beyond all hope that I never meet these guys on a trail run! I can understand now why the British Empire suffered such extreme casualties in WW1. Over the Top!! Charge!! Who cares if there are 10 belts of ****** wire and a thousand German machine guns!! Tough Disco though. Took a lot of punishment.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roverrocks
OUCH! I watched the other videos. These are seriously deranged Scotsmen! I can honestly say I hope beyond all hope that I never meet these guys on a trail run! I can understand now why the British Empire suffered such extreme casualties in WW1. Over the Top!! Charge!! Who cares if there are 10 belts of ****** wire and a thousand German machine guns!! Tough Disco though. Took a lot of punishment.
Agreed. I don't condone the wanton destruction of such an amazing vehicle. There are a lot of other great wheeling video's there too, and are much more appreciable.

My favorite is probably the Land Rover commercial where it wheels UP a 45 degree damn wall, with the tagline:

Land Rover. The best 4X4XFar.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by rj95lss
Realistically its probably worth $500 as is (you didn't say if you had a title or not). However if you have the space/time (we know you don't) then you could take a few months and part it out for at least $1,500.

Here is what I would do:
If it was me I would find some used MT tires (as big as possible), cut the **** out of the fenders, rip everything except the drivers controls and 2 front seats out, and take it down to "MIOBI" for some wheeling fun (about 1.5hr south of us). Sell everything you don't need on it for wheeling and that should easily pay for tires and some Hella 700's or something. You will want lights on your wheeling truck but you do not have to use the trucks lights/wiring if its shot. Just run some fog lights to the battery and a switch inside (keep it simple). Keep in mind that junk yards around here might buy windows in the truck as well, the headliner, outside lens, Etc. None of this will be needed for wheeling.

When you have had you fun with the truck then sell it for $500 or continue to part it out from there.

When I told you the other day that I would buy it as well. This is exactly what I had planned for it. But I have some space for it and a trailer to take it to MIOBI.

P.S. - Google "MIOBI" and enjoy. Its our local south eastern Iowa trail area...
I do have the title for it and its clean and clear actually. I don't have parking ont the street in front of my house. I guess I could park on a different street every night or something, but that would just be a pain, especially while parting it out. The cops are so nozy around here. I left it in a parking lot for less than 20min just after I bought it and there was already cops there checking it out.

That does sound like a TON of fun and I would absolutely love to do that. I've never wheel'd off road before, and I would love to try or even just go with someone. I have no way to get this thing 1.5hrs south of us though :/ There was some offroad park in cedar rapids awhile ago but I believe it closed. By all means if you are interested shoot me an offer. I found another car locally that I have the knowledge and parts to fix and make ~$2,000 on. But the Rover would have to leave in order for me to get that.

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
By all means, get it out of the shop, use that space, but don't bail on the Disco Yet!!!!

It won't kill it to sit outside. Hard to believe you can't find trails around a place named Cedar Rapids. Just make sure that if you try to ford water with it that the water is no more than waist deep and enter it slowly building a wake in front of you, not splashing it as hard as possible.
I know it won't hurt it to be outside. Just lacking places to park it without getting it impounded. Cedar Rapids is just a city built on the banks of a river. The only B roads I know of around here are over 30min away in Mt. Vernon :/

That video was crazy! I didn't think it was possible for a disco to catch that much air lol