Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Winch bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks Hill, want to come and back me up?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i sure would! don't like people messing around with buddies of mine! if you agree to do something then do it, if they didnt want to do it or realized they were in over their head they should have said something earlier. but delaying like this is just a real d*ck move.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Team Owner

I agree 100%.
We made a gentlemans agreement, I buy the first round of steel, he does the labor.
Then once we sell one we split the profits 50/50 but the first one is "on us".
I offered him money 2 weeks ago to build it and he said no, its covered.
If he didnt want to do it he should have just said so.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's BS. I am not sure my fab guy would be up to the task for the money you are looking for or I would run it by him.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Team Owner

Well I stopped in today and I was promised that it would be done and ready to put on the truck by Fri.
We will see.

ColoDisco-These guys making bumpers are making a fortune. The steel isnt that expensive and the material is less than that.
If I told you what it actually cost to make one of these you would flip.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost more than 100$ in steel (in retail price). If you can get it at the cost for fab shops it shouldn't be more than 75$. The first one is the hardest to build, then you have an accurate template.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Well I stopped in today and I was promised that it would be done and ready to put on the truck by Fri.
We will see.

ColoDisco-These guys making bumpers are making a fortune. The steel isnt that expensive and the material is less than that.
If I told you what it actually cost to make one of these you would flip.

Let me know how much you profit after making these.

I know that $800-$1000 is a good chunk of money, but a good quality bumper takes a lot of labor to produce and the materials are not as cheap as you believe. If you make bumpers for free it will get old slaving over them just to get the product out there and when you realize that it is impossible to do for $400-$600 you'll either sink in debt and not be able to keep up with demand or have to raise the price.
Yes, you can build a bumper for yourself pretty cheap and have something that you can be proud of. There are a lot of people out there that have done just that. Just don't forget that you have to make money doing it when your selling your wares. There is nothing shamefull in making a profit as this is what keeps the company going and makes R&D possible because you aren't in the business of floating all of the costs involved with this, but you will until the money starts flowing in the door.
I'm not going to list all of the costs involved with running a business and materials, you figure it out soon enough just don't give the people that produce products a black eye for making money.

I wish you good luck and hope it works out, Denny

Old 01-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree, as much as a under $500 bumper sounds. if you had one equal to or better quality than the ones on the market for cheaper, it wouldn't be long til you got swamped and realized you could raise the price and still be turning the same profit.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tweakrover
I have to agree, as much as a under $500 bumper sounds. if you had one equal to or better quality than the ones on the market for cheaper, it wouldn't be long til you got swamped and realized you could raise the price and still be turning the same profit.
I can still turn a profit at $500 though, I wont get rich at $500, but I can pad my IRA.
I'm not looking to get rich, I'm looking to keep things affordable for other enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, have at it then. I won't stop you.

Quick Reply: Winch bumper