Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

At wits end : Washed motor now it wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by desertdude
Also normally I would get on all those santimonious replies instead of trying to work out a problem waving your fingers and I told so's But right now I poofed and just happy it working again.

Obviously many didn't read the orginal post on the other site because if you would have read it, I just sprayed a little water mist from a hand operated sprayer and not power washed as some assume. You'd think a car with legendary water wading abilities could handle a little mist.

Obviously something was loose or about to conk out and that spray just did it in. Anywhoo alls well that ends well

Cheers
C'mon - I LIVE for those rants! It's what makes for fun reading!

Glad it is working again!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Thanks Bro

Old 04-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Rock Crawling

You would think that, given your location, water (even mist ;-) ) would be the LAST of your worries!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Drifting

True, but since it hardly rains here the sewage system there is built just for namesake cause on the odd occassion it does rain decently. The streets turn into river crossings. I have waded up to my door sills and more trough flooded streets. No to mention I had ignition sealer sprayed on the coil dizzy and plug wires. Which turn into a plastic/lacquer type coating on it.

In my old P38A Rangy I've gone up to almost above my hood without any issues.

P.S : Once in the past I left the car at a service stationed to be washed and the dude power washed the motor while I away. Took a couple of cranks to get it going and after 5 mins of running smoothed itself out. So one would think a light spray with the fusebox, dizzy and coil sprayed with sealant and cover with plastic bags just in case would not cause any issues !

Old 04-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Desert......I wasnt associating you with one of those fools who pressure wash their engines, I just kinda went off on a rant about ALL the stories AND people I know who spray their motors down at the carwash and then magically the vehicle will NOT START afterwards OR runs really bad. I dont see the merits of pressure washing your engine bay EXCEPT to track down a new leak or something. It just doesnt make sense to shoot and area filled with sensitive electronics with water. You wont catch me doing this NOR will I be asking for help cause my rover wont start after spraying it down LOL. OK, now to water proofing.....................What do you guys do to waterproof?. I know MANY guys toss on a snorkel and thats it, then when they cross deep water the motor dies and they say "well I got a snorkel, what happened?". Ok, so in regards to electrical tricks, what are you guys doing to your distributor etc etc?

Old 04-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Drifting

There is that old thing of sloping a good load vaseline or gease of the sensitive bits or those medical gloves on the dizzy with the wires through the cut fingers and tieing them off.

I used this stuff : Ignition sealer

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...ion-sealer.jpg

I sprays on then hardens into a hard plastic film. One would think thats a proper water tight seal. I guess its bollox because it could handle a little spray or maybe it ain't, who knows.

Anyways its crap because it hardens all rubbers which ended up turning all my plug wire boots into old land rover plastic which with the slightest pull crumbles into a million little pieces. So I ended up with 6 out of eight screwed up plug wires ! Also was a MAJOR PITA to try to pry of the connections of my coil and they were frozen solid because of this stuff and I didn't want to end up with broken coil terminals to exacerbate the situation even further.

Took about 15 minutes of gentle and hard prying and pulling to get those suckers off.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by AKdisco
Hey Desert......I wasnt associating you with one of those fools who pressure wash their engines, I just kinda went off on a rant about ALL the stories AND people I know who spray their motors down at the carwash and then magically the vehicle will NOT START afterwards OR runs really bad. I dont see the merits of pressure washing your engine bay EXCEPT to track down a new leak or something. It just doesnt make sense to shoot and area filled with sensitive electronics with water. You wont catch me doing this NOR will I be asking for help cause my rover wont start after spraying it down LOL. OK, now to water proofing.....................What do you guys do to waterproof?. I know MANY guys toss on a snorkel and thats it, then when they cross deep water the motor dies and they say "well I got a snorkel, what happened?". Ok, so in regards to electrical tricks, what are you guys doing to your distributor etc etc?
I would be interested in this as well!

I know that when we "waterproofed" the Hummers in the 'Corps it was a LONG process that required a lot of putty to completely cover the electronics.

But even with detailed instructions it took 5 hours or so - and that was with the military issued equipment with fording equipment, snorkel and raised exhaust etc...

Old 04-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by desertdude
Also normally I would get on all those santimonious replies instead of trying to work out a problem waving your fingers and I told so's But right now I poofed and just happy it working again.

Sadly this happens way too often on forums. Esp those who web wheel more than actually 4 wheel.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if you werent planning to actually wash the truck...why in the world would you "mist" it....serves no purpose and learned your lesson

Old 04-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Mudding

I pressure wash my motor pretty often and have never had an issue. Just be smart about where you point the wand.

Quick Reply: At wits end : Washed motor now it wont start