Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 Quit pulling? Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:02 PM
jj2
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '02 Quit pulling? Need help!!

I have a 2002 DII that all of a sudden quit pulling, didn't make a sound, just stopped pulling driving 35mph. Also the transmission will shift into park (but the park pawl grinds like the trans is spinning internally) and the vehicle still rolls in park. I tried the transfer case in high and low and still nothing. Also my transfer case has been slowly leaking and didn't know if somehow it could be stuck in neutral? or transmission problem?

Anyone ever seen this before?

thanks,
jimmy

Old 12-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm certainly no expert as I have questions about my own transmision, but it sounds like that trans is toast. I hope you find that it's not but, that doesn't sound too promising.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:42 PM
jj2
5th Gear

I just had a friend put it in every gear, and reverse, and i layed under the truck and driveshafts are in tact and not spinning. It really sounds like my transfer case is stuck in neutral somehow??

BUT....one time he shifted it into drive it started to pull ok (no noise and drove it a few feet up hill then back) but I was under it so he put it back in park and now it wouldn't pull again!!

if the transfer case is low on fluid could it cause any problems like this? I don't know much about this vehicle and have been a jeep guy forever so this is all new to me.
Or could it be as simple as the trans low on fluid????

jimmy

Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Red face

Your trans. could be low on fluid, but if so that is NOT GOOD if it's already to the point where it's slipping bad enough that it's not moving it could be spent. You could check it by pulling the fill plug at the front of the trans. pan with the engine running and it should be right up to the bottom of the hole just barely overflowing or level with it. If nothing comes out with the plug out with the engine running you could try to feel around just inside the hole to see if the fluid is up at least close to the bottom of the hole. You could probably also get a pretty good idea of what condition the fluid is in if it's right there at the bottom of the fill hole. If it's black and smells burnt it may be toast. Just don't take the fill plug out without the engine running or you will lose 3 or so quarts of atf. Good luck to you, I hope it's okay.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:22 PM
jj2
5th Gear

but why would the vehicle shift into park and still roll unless you apply the P brake? that's what is throwing me off.....

I know axles, differentials, driveshafts are good......100%

I just pushed the truck in the garage with it in "P"

Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you can push the truck while it is in park then your t-case is in neutral or fried because you ran it low on fluid.
You need to check the fluid level in it.
As for the noise when you put the trans in park, that is because its internals are still moving from lack of resistance, when you put your foot on the brake you stop not only the car but you stop the driveline too.
Right now as far as your trans knows, when you put it in park you are still moving, you are going to strip your parking prawl.
As far as not knowing much about these trucks, a truck is a truck, a car is a car.
Put the trans in drive and they all work the same, put it in park and they all work the same.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Spike is right, transfer case could be bad but, wouldn't the transmision go into park, set the parking pin and not make any noise? I know that with a bad transfer case you basically have nothing, the transmission isn't going to make it do anything but how did it drive at all... even a little bit? Spike? DiscoMike? Anybody? Just curious what your take is on it.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

Engine, trans, t-case, drive shafts, diffs, axles are all connected in that order.
When you put the trans in park you lock the trans with what is basically a ratchet gear to keep it from turning.
Lock the trans and the t-case wont turn either, because the output shaft on the trans goes into the input on the t-case, so they are locked together.
If he has a blown diff it may still roll while in park.
If the t-case is bad it may roll while in park.
If the trans is bad it will not roll while in park unless the parking prawl is broken.
Put the t-case in neutral and you can have it in park and push it down the street all day and the trans will not make any noise because with the t-case in neutral it is completely disconnected from the trans..
Strip the gears in the t-case and it is in effect disconnected from the rest of the drive line depending on which gears strip etc.
He said while in gear and the engine running and foot off the brake non of the drive shafts move, so either the t-case is in neutral or it is bad.
If it was a blown diff then the driveshaft that went to that diff would turn but the truck would not move.
As I already said the reason his trans makes noise when he puts it into park with the engine running is that the gears inside of the trans are moving, they think the truck is idling along because they are spinning, remember that the engine turns the trans then the trans turns the t-case.
So if the trans is turning then you put it in park it will make that ratcheting noise, that is the parking prawl trying to lock into park.
The reason this happens is that with no resistance on the trans all of the gears inside it will move because they are under power from the engine.
What he needs to do to stop that is shut the engine off with it still in gear, then put it in park.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:39 PM
jj2
5th Gear

I am suspecting transfer case becuase it acts like it is neutral. As for the park prawl, i only did that once and realized the internals of the trans is spinning still, so I've been putting it in neutral and shutting the engine off then waiting to put it in park. I just checked for codes in the system and there isn't any other than a O2 sensor code that's been lingering, but no P07?? codes for the trans or anything like that.

If the t-case is in neutral because of shifter linkage etc, how can i physically make sure it's in gear? And what exactly is in the internals of the transfer case? is it a all gear-to-gear unit, or a chain inside? Seems like several teeth must be stripped to make it quit pulling like it did but it didn't make a sound really when it quit pulling.....

I'm leaning towards pulling the case first of the week and disassemble it and find out what the he?? is going on.

thanks again

Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Team Owner

Yes the t-case is all gears, no clutch pumps or chains.
No need to pull it to inspect it there is are you ready for this? A inspection plate, drain the case, remove the inspection plate.
If chunks of gears fall out your case is now a boat anchor.
If not keep looking.

As for making sure it is in gear, find the linkage and see where it attaches to the case and make sure it is all there.
If you can move the transfer case gear shifter inside the truck with almost no effort then the linkage is broken or unhooked.

Quick Reply: '02 Quit pulling? Need help!!