Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   03 disco bad Vin? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/03-disco-bad-vin-43898/)

G Reeves 09-21-2011 08:48 AM

03 disco bad Vin?

Im sure thois question has been asked before but I cannot find it on this site so I appolagise for repeating a question. I own a 2003 4.6 disco 2 and have read about the oil pump problems is there certain ones that had this or do all do have them?

Thanks

Savannah Buzz 09-21-2011 08:59 AM

I would think from responses that most have them, but if they survive 50K - 70K miles you have a "good one".

agthird 09-21-2011 09:12 AM

91k so far so good.....but the three amigos suck....

DeepBlueWater 09-21-2011 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 141k on my 03. It's been a great car, minus the annoying "tick".

I incurred a recent severe oil leak at the front cover and decided to replace the gaskets. Along with that, I opted to replace the oil pump while I was in there. What I found was an operating oil pump- with an outer ring that was split into four pieces. Who knows how long it has been operating like that.

By customer standards a broken oil pump sucks! By an engineers standard, an oil pump that can split into four pieces and can still pump is a success!

Michael

G Reeves 09-21-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz (Post 269215)
I would think from responses that most have them, but if they survive 50K - 70K miles you have a "good one".

Mine has 88K on it, and luckly no three amigo's or ticking, so it should be ok, looking at the viscous fan i think this has been replaced as its got a big yellow spot in it.

Thanks for the response's much apreciated to a new member

0304Disco 09-21-2011 10:14 PM

I've got 66K on my o3' and she's ticking like a time bomb!! I wish I knew what would solve the issue so I could make it go away.

coors 09-22-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 0304Disco (Post 269339)
I've got 66K on my o3' and she's ticking like a time bomb!! I wish I knew what would solve the issue so I could make it go away.

Read my sticky. Maybe you have a bad flexplate.

coors 09-22-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DeepBlueWater (Post 269220)
I have 141k on my 03. It's been a great car, minus the annoying "tick".

I incurred a recent severe oil leak at the front cover and decided to replace the gaskets. Along with that, I opted to replace the oil pump while I was in there. What I found was an operating oil pump- with an outer ring that was split into four pieces. Who knows how long it has been operating like that.

By customer standards a broken oil pump sucks! By an engineers standard, an oil pump that can split into four pieces and can still pump is a success!

Michael

Read my sticky. You might also have a cracked flexplate.