Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 disco o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:44 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts
Default 03 disco o2 sensor

Ok so I’m getting a bank 1 sensor 1 fault the drivers side o2 sensor is full of carbon black stuff passenger side is clean. This is the second time I noticed this.
I know I have a small leak on my drivers side catalytic converter would thus cause my 02 sensor to carbon up ??

Old 02-26-2019, 05:34 AM
TReK

Anyone had this issue ?

Old 02-26-2019, 03:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

The one before or after the Cat ? But check this site out : https://www.underhoodservice.com/tec...ted-o2-sensor/

Black in generally your engine running rich, weird it is only one side though. It that case you could have a bit of oil contamination - check your PCV on the passenger side valve cover make sure it is not clogged or blocked.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:20 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
The one before or after the Cat ? But check this site out : https://www.underhoodservice.com/tec...ted-o2-sensor/

Black in generally your engine running rich, weird it is only one side though. It that case you could have a bit of oil contamination - check your PCV on the passenger side valve cover make sure it is not clogged or blocked.

it’s the one before the cat. I did the pcv mod so it’s all clean in that regard.

Im just wondering if a small exhaust leak just after that sensor in the catalytic is somehow responsible or is it something in the engine like a valve or something

Old 02-26-2019, 04:21 PM
TReK

I replaced all my o2 sensors in the summer and noticed this bank 1 sensor with black soot on it now again

Old 02-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Hmmm, well if your cats are good it will always be the up stream one that gets coated with contamination. But I found this :

The soot is partially unburned gas or oil that is condensing on a cooler sensor tip. and possibly contaminating the cats as well.
Look for the front sensor to be sooty or blacker than the other side as indication the motor has an issue.
Could be a weak coil or plug, wire. This is why I hate emissions stuff.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:58 PM
TReK

Is the best way to clean o2 sensors in gasoline ??
I have a can of electrical contact cleaner not sure if that’s better

Old 03-02-2019, 06:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

What is the code? And, do you have any device for monitoring live-data? Most likely you have a lean code or dead sensor and the computer is compensating for it...cause a rich condition. An exhaust leak up-stream of the sensor could cause this (lean condition reading).

Knowing which code your getting would be helpful.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:19 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
What is the code? And, do you have any device for monitoring live-data? Most likely you have a lean code or dead sensor and the computer is compensating for it...cause a rich condition. An exhaust leak up-stream of the sensor could cause this (lean condition reading).

Knowing which code your getting would be helpful.

Brian.

p0134 all 4 are new as of 6 months ago
when I replaced them I noticed the drivers side before the catalytic was very dirty in soot
i have a ultra gauge and been noticing that bank 1 sensor fluctuates between .7 and .1 .0 .4 while others sensors remain pretty steady

I suspect this sensor is dirty and sooted

its Saturday so I will take it out today and inspect

Old 03-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

I'd say your issue is most likely a faulty 02 sensor or connection/harness. The computer is not getting data when it should, to set this code...so you might have a poor connection or a wire terminal within the plug that has slipped out...or the 02 is bad. A vacuum leak could also set this code, but l would think both up-stream 02's would be having the same issue, not just one side.

Brian.

Quick Reply: 03 disco o2 sensor