Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 disco o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 04:45 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Well tried everything today looking back at my post From about 7 months ago had the p0134 and 0135 that got fixed by replacing the purge valve never had a issue until this past week

same codes are back I disconnect the purge valve but did not fix the issue

swapped o2 sensors with no resolution

checked intake for leaks but could not find anything lose or leaks

very frustrating unless it’s the wiring going to that sensor which I think runs under the manifold

Old 03-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Just out of curiosity have you tried a Seafoam treatment thru the intake? It cleaned up the 02 Westminster I’ve been piddling with and she has zero pending or active O2 sensor faults now (it originally had a P0130/P0150). Runs great now!

Old 03-02-2019, 06:57 PM
TReK

I haven’t tried sea foam I always hear crazy stories about that

it’s just weird how it can be runing so good for 7 months and now I’m getting o2 codes in bank 1

its just frustrating sometimes at idle I can feel it vibrate and you can smell the exhaust it’s not burning right
than sometimes it just runs fine

Old 03-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Seafoam is great if done properly. Trickle it into an already warmed up engine using the brake booster line, then when you get just about half a can or a little less into the engine shut it off, reconnect the brake booster line and let it sit 10-15min. It might run a bit rough at first, but normally just when the idle smooths out the white smoke with appear. I personally either rev it up, or take it for a drive to knock out as much carbon deposits as I can, then once the smoke goes away you should be good to go. Take the rest of the Seafoam and place it into the gas tank.

I had a 97 Range Rover HSE Vitesse and although it was in mint condition and ran great but whenever I went to pass someone it looked like a mini version of rolling coal. I tried several LR Fuel Treatments (got them for free from my LR buddies) and they did nothing. I knew the previous owner didn't drive it like I did so the engine was probably full of carbon deposits. I grabbed a can of Seafoam, let it suck up just under half a bottle, then I let it sit for 15min and man did it smoke. I jumped into it and of coarse everyone thought it was blowing up lol. I hit a nearby FM Road and drove it until the smoke stopped. The idle was much smoother and after that whenever I went to pass anyone I didn't see a small black cloud behind me.

I've used it on other vehicles (Non LR) and because they aren't known for running rich I never noticed a difference and they hardly ever smoked. However on LR's I've had very good results with it. I drop a bottle into the fuel at every oil change.

I've also seen O2 sensor faults that were actually caused by a bad MAF.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:22 PM
TReK

I might try it tomorrow. So warm up engine than use a small vacuum line to suck it in slowly at idle until half can than shut it off for 15 min than turn it on and drive ??? Rest of can into gas tank ?

Old 03-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Yep that's it (on a D2 use the brake booster line).

Old 03-03-2019, 05:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

How did you check for vacuum leaks? Basically, if it were a vacuum leak that only affected one bank of the engine...l'd be checking the lower intake manifold/valley pan gasket area on that bank. Spraying carb cleaner (which is flammable, so use caustion), preferably with a nozzle tube for directing spray in certain location better, and see if you notice any change in idle.

Also, has your engine ever been out or head gasket repair? Just wondering if maybe the engine harness got pinched? And, l know it's a son of a ***** to get a look at the connection, but can you verify that the upper plug has all of it's wires terminal ends securely in place? They can be pushed out of the plactic housing, while assembling connection...and even the smallest amount can throw off readings from sensor.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:54 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
How did you check for vacuum leaks? Basically, if it were a vacuum leak that only affected one bank of the engine...l'd be checking the lower intake manifold/valley pan gasket area on that bank. Spraying carb cleaner (which is flammable, so use caustion), preferably with a nozzle tube for directing spray in certain location better, and see if you notice any change in idle.

Also, has your engine ever been out or head gasket repair? Just wondering if maybe the engine harness got pinched? And, l know it's a son of a ***** to get a look at the connection, but can you verify that the upper plug has all of it's wires terminal ends securely in place? They can be pushed out of the plactic housing, while assembling connection...and even the smallest amount can throw off readings from sensor.

Brian.

I did a smoke test to check for vaccun leaks
the head gasket was done but quite some time ago
the o2 connection is good I cleaned it yesterday
it was idleing poorly yesterday took it on the hwy to see my mom 45 min drive and ever since than it’s running smooth but still has the p0134

im gonna try the Seafoam just for fun today
​​​​​​​

Old 03-03-2019, 08:47 AM
TReK

Are the o2 sensors somehow connected together ?
Yesterday when I disconnect the bank 1 sensor 1 then I looked on the ultraguage with the sensor disconnect and truck running it still showed voltage fluctuating on the sensor. ???

Old 03-03-2019, 10:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

No, each bank 1 or 2, sensor 1 control Short Term Fuel Trim for that bank of cylinders. When the 02 shows lean condition, fuel trim increases fuel, once the 02 sees rich, the fuel trim changes to lean. They basically flip-flop constantly. That's why the fluctuations are so quick on the front sensors, they are constantly adapting for optimum emissions and fuel mileage.

The down-stream 02's are just along for the ride, more or less, and report the condition of the cats. They have absolutely no affect on fuel trim, short or long term.

Noticed you mentioned code P0135 was frequent before. This is another code that rears its ugly head when you have a bad connection or faulty 02.

You also mention your bank 1, 02 sensor fluctuating between .7 and .1...it's strange that you never see .9 (rich condition). It's almost like the sensor is seeing lean conditions most of the time...so the short term fuel trim is going rich more than it would regularly. An exhaust leak would create this issue, too. Are you sure you don't have more than one exhaust leak, one upstream of the sensor?

I'm leaning towards exhaust leak or bad wiring harness/connection...since swapping 02's made no difference.

Brian.

P.S. l hate trying to fix vehicles over the internet...it's hard enough in person.

Last edited by The Deputy; 03-03-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 03 disco o2 sensor