Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Disco Oil pump repair?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Disco Oil pump repair?

So I just learned of the oil pump issue with Disco II's. Mine is an '03 with 106k mile (actualy more due to large tires) and within the VIN range of trouble.
The ticking just started. I asked my dealer about doing a repair and they were quite honest in saying that a new oil pump (installed price $1600) may go out again, nobody can know.

I would do the repair, but I really would like to "cure" the problem at the same time.
I thank you in advance for your advice.
Jay

Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You would need a new engine, well a used or rebuilt.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
4wd Low

lipadj46 ah man, your sorta bumming me out.
Do u or anybody else have reason to belive that Land Rover is accurate with the serial number range?

Also what about Toddco? They make a generic statement re: a 5.0 litre engine. Any idea if that applies to this car? (Yes, I will call them, but I'm hoping to hear a first hand experience).
Thanks again,
Jay

Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been following this on several good forums (like this one) & not seen one "smoking gun" FIX for this issue.

There's several modifications (removing misaligned dowels, replacing pump/cover ***'y)
The fact is, SOME engine blocks were made w/dowels that locate the pump/cover ***'y not aligned properly.

When you replace the pump/cover & torque it down, it stresses the casting.
that's why LR replaces the engine, as the engine block is the problem.

If you remove the dowels, your front seal is the least of your problems, it's the alignment of the oil pump rotors inside the housing (it's not a gear pump).

I'm not sure if anyone's done it, ask around about using long dowels, then removing them after torquing down pump, just a thought.

luck,greg

Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Some have removed their dowels but that has not been proven yet. The only 100% solution is a new engine, start savin'.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

are you sure its not the lifters ticking, and having low engine oil.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have not heard of one person that has ran without dowels. People talk about it, and there was one guy that was suggesting it to people. He ran 100 miles and is now putting a new engine in. Look under the sticky on the top and see about adding an oil pressure gauge. Keep you eyes on the actual numbers because the light trips at like 8psi or something rediculous. If it comes on, you are done.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even good oil pressure by no means indicates that your pump is 100% normal.

Several people have reported cracked pump gears despite making good oil pressure. One crack too many is when it finally crumbles apart.

Mine's making 25psi at idle and 50psi at rev when warmed. I'm about 11,000 miles from a complete front cover replacement.

I'm debating on tearing it down in 9,000 miles to inspect and, if necessary, replace the gears. $200 in parts/gaskets and a weekend...I hope.

I'm only averaging about 6,000 miles/year and it's hard to justify paying $5,000 for an engine swap when I'd barely get that for the vehicle even *if* I managed to find a buyer.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM
4wd Low

I'm certain the sound is not coming from the head.

Im going to have the oil presure checked.

Meltdowndave: Your comment seems to indicate the problem progresses at a predictable rate. Is that correct? I would like to wait a couple months on this if it goes a while. i think I will install a gauge reguardless of what I do.

Has any body bored and stroked one these????

Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay Renneberg
I'm certain the sound is not coming from the head.

Im going to have the oil presure checked.

Meltdowndave: Your comment seems to indicate the problem progresses at a predictable rate. Is that correct? I would like to wait a couple months on this if it goes a while. i think I will install a gauge reguardless of what I do.

Has any body bored and stroked one these????
I wish that I could say that it progresses at a predictable rate, but that is probably not the case.

I'm changing mine as preventative maintenance.

The engine is already stroked....it shares the same block as the 4.0L engine from Discovery Is. We're pretty much limited with what LR gave us. In any event, the drivetrain and axles may not be up the task of handling too much more power.

Quick Reply: '03 Disco Oil pump repair?