Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 disco overheating

Old 06-10-2018, 08:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
No need to be rude good sir.
If we would all be nice it would be great...I happen to take offense to someone saying "blah" to a well known, very common, shade tree fix for the cooling system that works better than what the shėtty procedure the rave has.

All good though, here to help, cant help everyone.

The following users liked this post:
razorkill12 (06-10-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah, those temps are way too high. And it sounds like your fan clutch is shot. Try replacing that and bleed, bleed, bleed the system. Elevated front end and raised bottle has always worked best for me. Maybe get a temp reader too, like an Ultra Gauge or such so you can monitor the temps. Dash temp gauge is not useful.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:22 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update

Alright, so I pulled off the new thermostat, tested fine, opened at 180 and was fully open around 200. The bottom of thermostat and bottom hose will be warmish, while top of thermostat and all other hoses are too hot to touch for more than a second. I've done several bleeds just as the manual says by raising the tank. Didn't help. I added running the heat and parking on steep hill both ways while warming back up. Every time I check the bleed screw is dry and requires about another cup. I've done 6 bleeds over 2 days. Also tested for combustion gases in the coolant and found none. There must be a different way to bleed or a reason there is air at the bleed screw. I even tried the old school bleed with the cap off and waited for the thermostat to open and the level go down and that didn't work at all. I did that before I did the last 6 bleeds. I can only spin the fan to the next 2 -3 blades at best, while cold or hot. The fan roars at times. Electric fans comes on on its own. Water pump is working, not sure if proper. I can easily blow on any line and get easy flow. What in the world is going on here guys? Please and thank you.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Go to the beginning

Note hot your primary fan should be harder to turn than cold.
  1. Are you loosing any coolant at all if no great, if you are you need to deal with that before going any further
  2. How hot is hot use a cheap wireless ODBII connector and your cell phone get an actual temperature - not the gauge.
  3. Fans sound ok from what you are saying - but you must be hitting 212 or so to fire up the electric fan. If this is true your primary cooling fan should be
    roaring. If it is not the clutch is toast.
  4. If every thing above seems to checks out time to bite the bullet and do a full cooling system flush. use a big cheap aluminum foil pan to catch the coolant, nothing should be coming out of there but coolant then water.
  5. Before flushing with just water, after draining the system use a good flash light and look at your rad. The tubes should not look clogged.
  6. Finally you can run without a thermostat to test - you will have to put a brass fitting in to replace the thermostat and cap off the bypass hose. If your temps are still bad you have a much bigger problem.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:16 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

We're all just trying to help and for those that don't believe I had 3 bad stats good on you,
im not stupid and know how to work a bit on these
if your bottom rad is cold and your heat works you have a flow issue
the stat does not open fully and the coolant is stuck in your rad getting cooled that's why your bottom hose will be warm to the touch and not hot to the touch
best way to test is bypass the stat completely then your bottom hose will be hot

also when bleeding you have to raise the coolant reservoir up and poor the coolant in the tank slowly pushing all the air to the highest point
this is not rocket ****
just poor coolant slowly and take 30 second breaks in between filling giving the air a chance to rise
this works in hvac chillers boilers water system of all type air always rises to highest point this is no different

Old 06-25-2018, 08:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
We're all just trying to help and for those that don't believe I had 3 bad stats good on you,
im not stupid and know how to work a bit on these
if your bottom rad is cold and your heat works you have a flow issue
the stat does not open fully and the coolant is stuck in your rad getting cooled that's why your bottom hose will be warm to the touch and not hot to the touch
best way to test is bypass the stat completely then your bottom hose will be hot

also when bleeding you have to raise the coolant reservoir up and poor the coolant in the tank slowly pushing all the air to the highest point
this is not rocket ****
just poor coolant slowly and take 30 second breaks in between filling giving the air a chance to rise
this works in hvac chillers boilers water system of all type air always rises to highest point this is no different
Of course the bottom hose will be hot, it's getting direct heat from the engine then. Not designed to work that way. Then when he disassembles to put things back the way they were designed he is introducing air back into the system again. If he has heat and the bottom hose is cold he could have an air issue in the stat causing the hot coolant to not open the stat.

Do you realize that some of the lines go DOWN? Air doesnt like to go DOWN.

Also, if you get an air bubble at certain places nothing will ever happen. Especially in the stat.

Your bottom hose will be cold unless you let it cycle.

Send me your "bad" stats. Nothing wrong with them..

You can test your fan clutch it either works or it dont.

Water pump either works or it dont it's just a fan connected to an axle, unless the fan came off the axle, its spinning.

I'm surprised no one has modified a bleeder for the heater pipes.

Last edited by shanechevelle; 06-25-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

I'm surprised no one has modified a bleeder for the heater pipes.
Like the raised coolant fill on the pre '95 RRC
That thing was great for getting air out fast of the early rigs.
Originally that part was made out of steel, but it would be simple to make for a DII with about $5.00 in copper pipe/Tee fitting.
I would probably replace the solid plug with a bleeder screw.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Well let's wait and see how Sam works things out and what his ultimate solution to this heating problem is
Sam with 180 Tstat your temps should be 194-197 hwy 200-204 idle
if your electric fans are on its reached over 210 I think they shut off at 203

keep us updated

Last edited by redwhitekat; 06-25-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 06-25-2018, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

180F thermostat temps are going to vary depending on the terrain, humidity, outside temp, and it will vary depending on how your D2 is configured. 180F will open faster, but the overall engine temp will only be a few degree's lower vs a 195F thermostat, but every bit helps (normally 5-8F tops). In TX my 180F thermostat temps during the summer range from 188-210F, that includes hills, heavy traffic, stop n go traffic, and the weather conditions here.

Up north your temps could be 5F less, but it just depends.

On the way back from Austin, TX this weekend I took the back roads from La Grange, TX to Houston, TX due to I-10 being a complete nightmare due to construction (almost as bad the evacuation during Hurricane Rita). I went on some beautiful farm to market roads and I was still doing 60-70MPH, but with less traffic/concrete/asphalt my engine temps went from 200F to 188/193F & my air intake temps also went from 125F to 112F.

Thermostat wise yep installing, removing, installing, removing, installing is doing nothing but constantly adding air back into it. If you slap a thermostat on without any coolant in the lower hose = air right at the thermostat and it WILL NOT open due to the thermostat being surrounded by air vs coolant. The coolant isn't going to flow properly with the thermostat closed so the air is just going to sit under the thermostat.

I will gladly test anyone's INOP 180F thermostat in my 500.00 03 D2.

On a side note my Pyrex glass tube I installed on my Kalahari is doing perfectly fine, and I can monitor my coolant condition/flow in seconds.

Last edited by Best4x4; 06-25-2018 at 12:05 PM.
shanechevelle (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 12:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Me likey this idea

Originally Posted by OverRover

Like the raised coolant fill on the pre '95 RRC
That thing was great for getting air out fast of the early rigs.
Originally that part was made out of steel, but it would be simple to make for a DII with about $5.00 in copper pipe/Tee fitting.
I would probably replace the solid plug with a bleeder screw.

shanechevelle (06-25-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 disco overheating