Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco Falling Apart

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The tune up kit on roverparts only has 7MM wires. They will not hold up as well as 8MM. Do not buy that one. Most people sell the "kits" with 7MM because they fit into the retainers perfectly. The 8MM will fit too, just require a little more persuasion.

Buy a cheap code reader or go to your local auto parts store and have the codes read. Most will do it for free. Write them all down and post them on here. Start with the tune up and tightening the cover gaskets.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:14 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok some updates.......

Dealer charged me $82 and pretty much all they did was wash the damn thing, but I did talk to the mechanic who told me there were 12 codes. several were o2 sensor codes, most he said were some kind of electrical signal codes, but there was a lean bank code. Unfortunately he didnt think to write them down for me..... I changed all the plugs, passenger side plugs were almost scrotched white, driver's side were black. I still haven't been able to find an 8mm 12pt deep socket anywhere so I'm prob going to have to order one. I still havent attempted the plug wires yet, but it looks tough, prob going to attempt it this weekend. I ran some injector cleaner and switched to high test. when I removed the intake to get the the plugs i noticed a brown oily residue on the inside of the throttle body.

On another note, while changing the plugs, I managed to snap off the inboard stem for the vac line that comes out of the canister on the passenger side of the engine. I taped it the best I could and I don't hear any air while running, but I'm going to have to find a replacement asap

Again thanks for the help saving me thousands, I can't imagine what the dealer would charge me for all of this

Old 03-13-2010, 06:01 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go to Sears and they have those sockets in stock.
If not they can get you one.
Thats where I got mine.
Otherwise look for a Snap-On tool truck making his rounds.
Or a Mac Tools truck.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:50 AM
7th Gear

I'm starting to worry about the vac line I broke. I haven't been able to find the part online to replace it. It's the black canister on the pass side of the engine comp near the coolant, I snapped off the stem on the end closest to the motor. Does anyone know what the canister is and how to get a new one? And how bad of an idea it is to keep driving the rover with it duct taped back together?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDisco2
I'm starting to worry about the vac line I broke. I haven't been able to find the part online to replace it. It's the black canister on the pass side of the engine comp near the coolant, I snapped off the stem on the end closest to the motor. Does anyone know what the canister is and how to get a new one? And how bad of an idea it is to keep driving the rover with it duct taped back together?
I think that is just the vac canister for the heating controls, but I would have to look at it to be sure. I doubt it's anything super important. See if you can snap a picture of it and post it here.

Spike is right about the socket, you should be able to ask anyone at Sears for it, and they should be able to find it really quickly.

You can pick up a computer scanner at just about any parts store, or Harbor Freight. They usually run somewhere from $50-200 depending on what features you want. Also, you can get the trouble codes read at Auto Zone for free, they will even give you a print out of the trouble codes.

Try this: Disconnect your battery for 5-10 seconds (this will clear out the existing trouble codes in the computer). Drive it for a couple of days, then take it to Auto Zone. Have them pull the trouble codes, and get a print out of them. Then post them here. We'll be able to tell you what's going on from there.

***EDIT***

Is this the cannister you broke the fitting off of?

If so, that's for your Secondary Air Injection. It's not super important, but get it fixed when you can.

Last edited by tornado_735; 03-15-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Added SAI picture
Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Cape here is another idea for tires. Though this size is not rated for severe snow, you can read the reviews at tire rack;
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....E&autoModClar=

Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by tornado_735
Try this: Disconnect your battery for 5-10 seconds (this will clear out the existing trouble codes in the computer).

That is a huge no no. You will clear all of you adaptive memory and possibly throw an SRS fault.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
That is a huge no no. You will clear all of you adaptive memory and possibly throw an SRS fault.
The memory can be relearned, and my SRS light never once stayed on.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Camel Trophy

yes, it can be re-learned. You will get poor performance and economy until it is. The SRS fault can happen. $100 trip to the dealer is the only way to reset, and you could have bought a scanner for that.