Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco Windshield Wipers Frozen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:57 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Disco Windshield Wipers Frozen?

Hello,

I have an 04 se7, and this evening in Nashville, TN we had a heavy snow. My wipers were working fine, then I went into some friends' house for a few hours, and when I came out my wipers wouldnt budge. I cleared the snow and ice from around them, and can move them back and forth with my hands, but they dont respond even by twitching when I turn them on in the car. Any idea what the problem and solution may be?

Thanks so much,
Brandon

Old 01-30-2010, 04:11 AM
Drifting

03 disco here, I live here in texas, we had a cold snap a few weeks ago and my wipers did the same thing. They were not frozen. I let the car warm up for a few mintues and they worked fine. weird.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

dont start the car just turn the key to let the electrics run, pop the hood, turn the wipers on and then go see if you can hear the wipe motor running or not.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Here in South Bend Indiana, both of my d2 wipers never work when it's cold until the temp inside the cabin warms up... I think the wiper switch in the stem hate's the cold weather and right now it's 2 degree's... It's another Rover Clunk...

Old 01-30-2010, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear
Default Still no luck!

Thanks for all the info so far, guys.

I have totally thawed the area surrounding the wipers and motors, and the cabin is fully heated.

When I popped the hood I couldn't hear the wiper motor at all.

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the fuse, if its good then get a multi meter and disconnect the motor harness and see if its getting power, you could have a fried motor or if its not getting power then a bad switch

Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 Mrmerlin....

Old 01-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is funny stuff, you guys who dont normally get any snow break stuff when you do.

You MUST clear the snow from the wipers AND make sure they are not frozen to the glass before you turn them on.
The best thing to do is when you park it turn the wipers off and let them "park", then turn the truck off.
If you leave the wipers on or do not let them "park" when you start the truck they will try and move and that is when you, if you are lucky, blow a fuse.
Other wise you can burn up your wiper motor or wiper transmission.
Same thing with the rear wiper.

Now onto your problem.
Check the fuse, then check the nuts on the wipers arms, those nuts come loose and the wiper arms wont move, tighten them and you are good to go, 10mm nut.

On DII's the wiper switch is very temp sensative, its just a Rover thing.
The only fix is a new wiper switch.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does that too. If the temp in lower than 30 then they take about 5-10 min before they work. Its done this since the day I got it. If its that cold out I usually start it and let it run for 2-5min anyway.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Mudding

Yep, me too. Been that way since I've owned the vehicle. Temp sensitive switch. Works fine after the Rover gets good and warm. I'm considering swapping in a new switch soon, just to see if it solves the problem...

Quick Reply: 04 Disco Windshield Wipers Frozen?