Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Discovery Buyers advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:51 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 04 Discovery Buyers advice

Hello everyone,
Im not sure if this is the correct place to ask these types of questions but I'mnew to the forums and seeking advice from strangers on the internet. So here goes.
I am coming off of 10 years of reliable Wrangler ownership and looking for a little of irresponsibility in my life. So i started shopping for and 04 Disco(which I've come to learn is the more desirable year for these trucks, and seemingly the most reliable)
I live in San Deigo and would be using it as a daily driver, commuter, and some longer road trips to the National Parks and a camping truck. Not much interested in the likes of Overlanding or any serious modifications(except for maybe replacing the air suspension with spring and shocks.) I have found a 2004 Discovery 2 a few hours away from me that I am dangerously interested in, here are the details
2004 Land Rover Discovery SE7
69,060 miles
CarFax confirmed 1 owner car
Every maintenance record available back to the original window sticker
$18,000

I am impressed by the low miles and the service history but I equally fear the too good to be true aspect of life. After about a year of owning this truck, it would become a third car for my wife and I (planning on picking up a car as a DD and using the LR as a weekend toy/camping truck.) With that in mind I dont think it's too big of a monster in the closet. Then I start reading forums and wathcing videos on ownership reports about people who had to spend $10,000 to keep running a truck that cost them $5,000.

Please feel free to chime in and give me your unfiltered opinions on Land Rover ownership, advice for buying, and anything else that might help.

Thanks
-Commander-Cody

Old 04-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I suppose my comment may have no real value of sorts, but just my opinion that I'd NEVER pay that kind of money for a D2 regardless of miles.
I'd rather have one with more miles thats had the known major services performed, like head gaskets, coolant system pressure verified, sleeves checked etc.
At 69k miles, you're still asking for all of those things to go wrong in short time and you've already paid double what the trucks worth.

Just my .02

The following 2 users liked this post by NewToTheTwo:
Lisa Bunch (04-19-2019), shanechevelle (04-22-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 09:00 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NewToTheTwo
I suppose my comment may have no real value of sorts, but just my opinion that I'd NEVER pay that kind of money for a D2 regardless of miles.
I'd rather have one with more miles thats had the known major services performed, like head gaskets, coolant system pressure verified, sleeves checked etc.
At 69k miles, you're still asking for all of those things to go wrong in short time and you've already paid double what the trucks worth.
Just my .02

That's very true. Honestly hadn't even considered that, even with low miles that these goblins are waiting rear their ugly heads. I guess I'll keep looking around too.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:22 AM
5th Gear

With all that being said, what does anyone think a fair price range would be for a mechanically sorted example. (Engine rebuilt, coolant, plugs wires, brakes, AC, headliner replaced, steering dampener and radiator) all are specific things that have been fixed on another Disco I'm looking at.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:40 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

If you have 18 big ones to spend I'd be looking for a good used LR4 or a full size L322... Both of which can be had for that same money and are better sorted and 10 year newer vehicles.

What a well sorted D2 is worth to anyone is subjective of course but I personally would have trouble paying over 7 or 8k for one, mostly due to knowing how much I'll be spending to keep it in good shape for another 5 to 10 years.

My best suggestion would be to asses your mechanical skills, tool kit, and access to and cost of a local LR only independent shop first. Read more on here, especially the high mile and over 60k services... Then look for a vehicle that fits the combo of you doing some of the work, paying for what you aren't comfortable doing yourself and set a price accordingly.

In most of the country you can find a decent truck for 5k, make any needed repairs and still not be far off from that 18k truck in quality and reliability.

The following users liked this post:
Commander-Cody (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:28 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I’d buy a non working ‘04 and put in an upgraded long block from RPi or Turner Engineering. My ‘03 was 17.5 over a decade ago. It ain’t worth it, and the original motors are not desirable. You can have a reliable D2, but your going to have to mod it. Inline thermostat, and new engine at a minimum.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Dave03S
If you have 18 big ones to spend I'd be looking for a good used LR4 or a full size L322... Both of which can be had for that same money and are better sorted and 10 year newer vehicles.

What a well sorted D2 is worth to anyone is subjective of course but I personally would have trouble paying over 7 or 8k for one, mostly due to knowing how much I'll be spending to keep it in good shape for another 5 to 10 years.

My best suggestion would be to asses your mechanical skills, tool kit, and access to and cost of a local LR only independent shop first. Read more on here, especially the high mile and over 60k services... Then look for a vehicle that fits the combo of you doing some of the work, paying for what you aren't comfortable doing yourself and set a price accordingly.

In most of the country you can find a decent truck for 5k, make any needed repairs and still not be far off from that 18k truck in quality and reliability.

I'm not the MOST mechanically inclined but I'm more than willing to do the research and work to keep a vehicle I love, running and healthy. That's why at least to me it's worth spending a little more to get one that's already had the engine, thermo, and other notoriously important bits already sorted and documented. That being said Ive never owned one so even after having it all sorted, I still don't know what to expect long term reliability and maintenance wise.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I always tell people to budget $2000 a year for maintenance on one of these. Yes you read that right. There will be years you spend more and years you spend less which balance out. 12 years of ownership tells me this. If I hadn't found this forum and a good indy shop I would have either given up and lost my *** on it, or spent way more than I have so far.. Or both...

You might think spending 18k up front will buy you some trouble free years but you would be wrong. Regular maintenance items add up, Tires, shocks, springs, cats, drive shafts, brakes, cooling system, headliner, windshield, leaky T-case, headliner, etc. Any or all of those items and more can and will rear their head in time.

Last edited by Dave03S; 04-19-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 03' with 102k miles from someone in del mar heights nearly 8 years ago. i paid $5600 cash, did the suspension, brakes, and put about $2k into it for water pump, radiator, PS pump, etc. You wouldn't know it has 160k miles on it, but I'm picky about my vehicles. If you're good with doing work yourself, find a higher mileage one for even less than I paid. Make sure the VIN is after the slipped sleeve motors VIN.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

At the risk of being labeled a "Dweeb" I can tell you about my limited experience so far. Let me start by saying I am a complete noob and have never done anything this before. I am an IT geek that is not mechanically inclined. All the same I was looking for a project for my son and I to keep us busy on the weekends.

So I bought a 2004 for $3000. I knew it had a blown head gasket but I figured I could take care of that. The interior was is in really good shape. I spent $1500 getting new coils, gaskets, plugs, wires, 02 sensors and some tools for a maintenance refresh. Finally got the heads pulled off and found a chunk of aluminum missing from the decking and one of the sleeves slipped. So I went ahead and pulled the engine, bought a used bare block and it is at the machine shop waiting on new parts for the short block. All told, below is what I have spent so far and the estimated cost to "complete" the D2.
  1. $3000 - purchase
  2. $1500 - maintenance parts and tools
  3. $825 - bare block
  4. $500 - more tools and cherry picker
  5. $1000 - machining and assembly work
  6. $1300 - engine rebuild parts
Total (so far) - $8125

Next to do (that I know of)
  1. $1000 - shocks
  2. $700 - tires
  3. $300 - front drive shaft
  4. $1500 - front and rear bumper
In my limited experience, all this stuff seems like it needs to be replaced for a 15 year old vehicle so I would suggest buy cheap, replace the common failure points and you'll at least know what you have. In my neck of the woods, you can pick up a rover for $3-5k.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 04 Discovery Buyers advice