Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Discovery at a cost of $2750.00, UNHEARD OF, Thanks to Supid Dealership, only 60k

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Discovery at a cost of $2750.00, UNHEARD OF, Thanks to Supid Dealership, only 60k

Goodevening folks. First time user of this forum. Just purchased a Disco for pennies. So here is whats going on...........

I saw this Discovery listed on craigslist as mechanic special as a head gasket problem . I emailed the seller and she called me right away. I asked her that I'd like to see the vehicle. Within 3 hours we met. I asked them what was wrong and who did the work on the Discovery. The seller said, that all the work has been performed by Cole European in Walnut Creek, California.

Cole European said that the head gasket was blown and it was charge about 30 hours to complete the work. Believe it or not, I saw all the paper work and the acutal diagonstic reports. Considering I have mechanic back ground, I for 1 minute and checked everything. Turned it off and signed the pink slip paid the seller what they wanted to get for the truck. 2750.00 and towed the Disco to my shop just to be on the safe side. About 2 hours later I received the call from the seller and they just wanted to findout what did I findout on the Disco as to what the dealer mentioned.

1) After all the tests. There was nothing wrong with the Disco, except the ignition wires and spark plugs. It had a misfire thanks to wires and plugs.

2) Dealership lied to you about all the things it needed. Find a new mechanic and never go back to those liars. Specially since you just purchased a new Range.

3) Call the dealership and sue them for false diagonstic.

REMEMBER ---- DON'T BELIEVE WHAT A DEALER ALWAYS TELLS YOU, SPECIALLY IF IT'S FREMONT JAGUAR/LANDROVER OR COLE EUROPEAN. DON'T RIP THE CONSUMER OFF SPEICALLY WHEN THEY ARE OUR BREAD AND BUTTER.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, and I thought I got a good deal on my '04... I paid $6500.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

so no leaks yet? im sure did this all already, you pressure tested it? checked the oil for coolant? did you put 8mm magnecores, kingsborne, or STI wires in?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Call me skeptical

I always applaud great deals and love hearing "Rover Rescue" stories...but how are you any better/different the stealerships in this case?

(with all due respect, of course)

Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if compression is good and it passed a cylinder leak down test then you got a great deal.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
I always applaud great deals and love hearing "Rover Rescue" stories...but how are you any better/different the stealerships in this case?

X2....great deal even if the HG were shot.

But, you're telling us how the dealership was maybe trying to take advantage of these people....and you actually did take advantage of these people. I believe that's where the phrase "pot calling the kettle black" comes from.

Then again, it's not YOUR fault that they didn't do their research, and blindly believed one diagnosis that their truck was toast and decided to sell for nothing

Old 01-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon

sounds like he rolled the dice and got lucky...

Old 01-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by agthird
sounds like he rolled the dice and got lucky...
Well I may have assumed that he knew of the "real" problem before purchasing. However, if he didn't, TOUCHE and that IS a great deal. I was led to believe this due to his wording of having a mechanical background, only needing "1 minute" to check it over and then quickly signing the pink slip, etc.

Either way, I never said he was wrong to do so or that I wouldn't do the same...was only questioning why he'd bash the founders of his multi-thousand dollar mis-information.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understand both sides of this debate! But, the previous owner had already decided to sell the vehicle and had already purchased a more expensive Range Rover. It wasn't as if they still would have decided to keep the vehicle if they knew.

It is a great topic to consider...if you were checking out a used vehicle and the seller had underpriced it due a poor assumption about it's condition (and the seller already bought a new vehicle to replace it) would you have agreed to pay more?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cyberbaker
Understand both sides of this debate! But, the previous owner had already decided to sell the vehicle and had already purchased a more expensive Range Rover. It wasn't as if they still would have decided to keep the vehicle if they knew.

It is a great topic to consider...if you were checking out a used vehicle and the seller had underpriced it due a poor assumption about it's condition (and the seller already bought a new vehicle to replace it) would you have agreed to pay more?
This always comes down to ethics. Of course if something for sale and you agree to the price it does not matter if it went in your favor or the others since it was an agreed upon deal. Now if this was a single mom who needed a car for work and she had three kids and you could tell she was getting screwed by the dealer then you may think about helping her. But then again, it may be easier for her to get a different car with a payment and be happy that she does not need to work on it.

It sounds like you got a great deal and that is one of the reasons I always am scouring for a Rover even if I do not need another one. People are afraid of them when they should not be.

Quick Reply: 04 Discovery at a cost of $2750.00, UNHEARD OF, Thanks to Supid Dealership, only 60k