Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 slipped liner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
RMT says to run water from a hose onto the side of the block to cool it down while it is ticking and if it stops ticking it is a liner. Then if you remove the hose and it warms back up again it will start back ticking. You may have to try each side of the block if you are not sure which side it's coming from. If that stops the tick then buy a grey 180 genuine thermostat (link below) and see if that will cool your engine down enough stop the tick. I've never tried the hose down test but, he says it works so I'm sure it does. I have replaced the thermostat with a 180 and did stop the tick but, may not work for everyone. It's worth a shot.

THERMOSTAT ASSY DII & FREELANDER 180 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT, PEL500110, RNQ028 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts
ok will def try that

Old 10-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

If it only starts once it warms up and goes away when you rev the engine, then I'd say you have a loose liner. Do the hose thing, then try to figure out just which one is loose using either a mechanics stethoscope or a screwdriver to your ear to see if it is easily pinned in place which seems to fix the problem: http://www.landroverresource.com/doc...g_V8_Liner.pdf

Old 10-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
If it only starts once it warms up and goes away when you rev the engine, then I'd say you have a loose liner. Do the hose thing, then try to figure out just which one is loose using either a mechanics stethoscope or a screwdriver to your ear to see if it is easily pinned in place which seems to fix the problem: http://www.landroverresource.com/doc...g_V8_Liner.pdf
Yeah that's the only coNstant symptom it is quiet when cold but after 5-10min when warmed up the knocking starts.

Last edited by Sarge103; 10-02-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling

I dont want to get a ahead of myself and Im hopeing for the best but prepping for the worst. If its a slipped liner what are my options as far as replaceing engine? I dont want this to happen again, are there any manufacturers out there producing aftermarket engines that dont have this flaw? I would like to stay with a 4.6.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge103
I dont want to get a ahead of myself and Im hopeing for the best but prepping for the worst. If its a slipped liner what are my options as far as replaceing engine? I dont want this to happen again, are there any manufacturers out there producing aftermarket engines that dont have this flaw? I would like to stay with a 4.6.
If a liner is slipping and you are not loosing coolant into a cylinder or have any misfires due to wet cylinders, then if you can stop the liner from moving with a 180 t-stat or pinning you can drive it for a long time.
My 03 was ticking, I put a 180 t-stat in and it stopped ticking... 30K miles ago.
and if that doesn't do it, search the forums on how to pin the sleeve.
First things first... determine if it is in fact a liner.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It isn't necessarily a slipped liner! I had the dreaded "liner tick" on my truck, but it wasn't a liner, it was valve train noise caused by a faulty oil pump. I replaced the oil pump, switched it to the correct oil and a better filter and the tick has been completely silenced.
It's also important to note the frequency of the tick. If the tick is full engine rpm, or 1 tick per revolution, it's most likely cylinder/bottom end related. If the tick is 50% of engine rpm, or 1 tick every other revolution, then it's likely valve train.

Yeah that's the only coNstant symptom it is quiet when cold but after 5-10min when warmed up the knocking starts.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Three Wheeling

If a liner is slipping and you are not loosing coolant into a cylinder or have any misfires due to wet cylinders, then if you can stop the liner from moving with a 180 t-stat or pinning you can drive it for a long time.
My 03 was ticking, I put a 180 t-stat in and it stopped 30K miles ago.
and if that doesn't do it, search the forums on how to pin the slipping liner.
First things first... determine if it is in fact a liner.
your right im getting ahead of myself i have been having misfire codes pop up on 4 and 5 cylinder

Old 10-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Same exact noise and symptoms as mine used to have... wasn't a liner, it was valvetrain noise. Put an oil pressure gauge on it right away and check oil pressure at hot idle, 2k rpm hot, and cold.

it just sounds more like a knocking than a valvetrain noise

Old 10-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

your right im getting ahead of myself i have been having misfire codes pop up on 4 and 5 cylinder
Then you just may have a cracked block behind a sleeve and coolant getting into the cylinders.
Are you loosing coolant? have you removed the plugs on those cylinders to look in with a flashlight to see if the tops of those pistons are steam cleaned. Normally they would be pretty black, so if one is shiny then it is probably steam cleaned with coolant leaking into one or both of those cylinders.
Check that as well as try the hose test and let us know what you get.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-02-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Three Wheeling

Then you just may have a cracked block behind a sleeve and coolant getting into the cylinders.
Are you loosing coolant? have you removed the plugs on those cylinders to look in with a flashlight to see if the tops of those pistons are steam cleaned. Normally they would be pretty black, so if they are shiny then they are probably steam cleaned with coolant leaking into those cylinders.
Check that as well as try the hose test and let us know what you get.
I figured this was causing my misfires.

Attached Thumbnails 04 slipped liner?-20140929_160005sm.jpg  

Quick Reply: 04 slipped liner?