Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#1 misfire, #6 misfire, and a mystery coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 02:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #1 misfire, #6 misfire, and a mystery coolant leak

Alright, I've searched and can't quite hone in on what my issue is. 3 days ago mey "Service engine soon" light comes on. Took it to Autozone and throws the following codes

#1 misfire
#6 misfire
Random misfire

I popped the hood and somehow the #6 wire had popped off. (All plugs and wires were changed approximately 5k miles ago) I went ahead and replaced both plugs #1 and #6 even though nothing seemed out of the ordinary.I'm still getting a misfire...at idle i notice a miss and when i reach about 50-55 mph. Other than that all the shift points are fine, but thats where i've been able to duplicate the miss.

Additionally, I don't know if this is a related issue or not. I noticed a small coolant leak and was able to pin point where i thought the leak was. I fixed it and its dry as a bone now, just a loose hose coming from the reservoir.The reevoir does not leak until it is empty but leaks until past the hose that runs from the expansion tank towards the throttle cables. Obviously I can keep filling it but it does concern me that i can't find where the coolant is going. I also wasnt sure if there is any relation to my misfires. Any help or links will be appreciated

Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

If you google "multiple cylinder misfire" the first couple of links will tell you about 10 different things to check out. Same as any other vehicle; ignition- good spark plugs, electrical continuity of wire/ lead, voltage from all terminals of the 2 coil packs. Air- valves in working order, no vaccum leaks, equal compression throughout all cylinders. Fuel -at least 30-40 psi at the rail, injectors clean and operating efficiently, good seal at O-ring. Check everything. I read on another board where some idiot checked for spark and had it on the one cylinder/plug/wire, so he assumed that he certainly must have a spark on the other 7...like its a dang Briggs&Straton push-mower. Noo, you don't stop at 1 spark plug LmAo!

Last edited by chubbs878; 01-05-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Larger Concern

Obviously I can keep filling it but it does concern me that i can't find where the coolant is going. I also wasnt sure if there is any relation to my misfires.
How often are you checking/refilling system and know how much it's leaking? Should be on at least a daily basis, topping off when cold and keep looking for your leak. There are plenty of places to visually look for external leaks that may be difficult to spot without using a bright light and mirror. What are your coolant temps? A faulty reservoir or cap can also lead to coolant loss/leak that's not always obvious. An internal coolant leak such as from head gasket(s) can cause both misfires and coolant loss.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Have you ever seen or read about the KSeal? Its a super-small bottle, I don't know maybe 8 ounces or so. I had a really, really small intermittent coolant leak from the back of the engine so a friend gave me the Kseal to try out. Shook the hell out of it, used only half the bottle, drove the truck for an hour and it worked. If you can't find the leak, you could always use some of this and probably be done with it. Personally, I would rather buy new parts and replace what is at fault, but since I didn't know what exactly it was and didn't want to drop $500 a couple months before Christmas and 5-family members' birthdays, I went this route and don't regret it one bit.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

I just got excited to use a uv dye kit I bought to track a small coolant leak, popped the hood with my glasses and flashlight ready and noticed with my naked eye that a top hose clamp was loose. Grr.

Next time, mystery leak, next time.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

#1 & #6 ARE on the same coil

Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 PM
4wd Low

UPDATE:

Replaced both coil packs bc it was such a pain in the a** to get too. All was well in the world for about 2 weeks. #6 misfire came back. Wire went bad. Swapped out the wire and we're back to good. I've found the leak, tightened the clamp...at this point its not leaking enough to make me want to fool with it. May try that K-seal stuff out if I think about it. She's up and running good as new now. Thanks everyone for their responses

Old 02-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaDisco2
UPDATE:

Replaced both coil packs bc it was such a pain in the a** to get too. All was well in the world for about 2 weeks. #6 misfire came back. Wire went bad. Swapped out the wire and we're back to good. I've found the leak, tightened the clamp...at this point its not leaking enough to make me want to fool with it. May try that K-seal stuff out if I think about it. She's up and running good as new now. Thanks everyone for their responses

Same misfire issue - #8 only. New Kingsbornes a couple months ago. No leak. Changing coil packs and wires (again).

Any problems disconnecting the coils? Is there a wire clip or just snap on for the connectors? I'm pulling the plenum but not sure how fragile the connectors on the coils are.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:30 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by jamieb
Same misfire issue - #8 only. New Kingsbornes a couple months ago. No leak. Changing coil packs and wires (again).

Any problems disconnecting the coils? Is there a wire clip or just snap on for the connectors? I'm pulling the plenum but not sure how fragile the connectors on the coils are.
The hardest part about removing the coils is the amount of access you have. It's a really tight squeeze and we actually removed the whole bracket that held them in place. There was a couple clips that you have to be careful with bc theyll get away from you. Keep a magnet handy

Old 02-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

The wire clips do not need to be removed. Simply press on them and they release the connector.

The following users liked this post:
jamieb (02-05-2016)

Quick Reply: #1 misfire, #6 misfire, and a mystery coolant leak