Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   17 Codes...places to start? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/17-codes-places-start-51754/)

br0keit 08-13-2012 04:02 PM

Hate to be the bad news guy but most likely you just had a bare wire on one of your o2 sensors. As i'm sure you figured out since its fixed, you probably blew a fuse (fuse 2). That fuse is for all of those parts that were throwing codes. It happens when a bare wire to one of them (or a failing component) blows the fuse, then they all go. You could have probably just fixed it with some high temp tape though if you had high mileage you still didnt do too bad by replacing the sensors as they were probably going out soon anyways. If it does trip again my bet is on a bare wire somewhere, find it, fix it, and you'll be in the hole $.05 for a piece of tape.

TRIARII 08-14-2012 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by br0keit (Post 337471)
Hate to be the bad news guy but most likely you just had a bare wire on one of your o2 sensors. As i'm sure you figured out since its fixed, you probably blew a fuse (fuse 2). That fuse is for all of those parts that were throwing codes. It happens when a bare wire to one of them (or a failing component) blows the fuse, then they all go. You could have probably just fixed it with some high temp tape though if you had high mileage you still didnt do too bad by replacing the sensors as they were probably going out soon anyways. If it does trip again my bet is on a bare wire somewhere, find it, fix it, and you'll be in the hole $.05 for a piece of tape.

Either way he would have had to replace those O2 sensors eventually, so now that's one more thing he can check out off his service list as completed. Plus it should helo maintain his fuel economy.

Good work on the fix nevertheless, gonna say that 17 bloody codes all at once is crazy! Never knew that faulty O2 sensors could cause so much havoc! I think I'll go ahead and replace all mine just to be safe.

lrsmith62 08-15-2012 07:21 AM

Thinking on it....one of the rears had one of the wires sitting a bit close to moving parts...may have been worn thru as it did feel very limp. Both rears were ready to be changed...black as tar....but the fronts were probably ok...still, had the car up and went ahead and changed all. Engine runs so much better now...happy with the fix! Thanks for the heads up on looking for wires next time!

Now, on to the passenger seat lumbar bladder....not looking forward to tracking down this issue!:)

Savannah Buzz 08-15-2012 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes the RAVE electrical can provide an idea of what things look like and where connectors are. See attached for lumbar pump (C0974 connector).

SiloMan 08-15-2012 12:00 PM

lrsmith62 or anyone....just a quick question, please. Did you have to replace Fuse #2? If not, what would cause all 4 O2 sensors to go out at the same time. The reason I ask is because I'm trying to learn all I can.......Thanks everyone.

br0keit 08-15-2012 03:08 PM

If memory serves me (and i'm sure savannah will come in here with 100 page pdf on the chemical composition of each wire) I believe fuse 2 protects the o2 heaters. It doesnt protect the communication lines or power for the sensors, that is a different fuse.

TRIARII 12-24-2014 08:35 PM

Looks like im getting almost all the same codes so the first line of business will be replacing all 4 02 sensors.