Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Issue?

Hi everyone, I have a 2001 Disco II with 95,000 on it. Yesterday my wife was driving on the highway and when she went to change lanes she said the steering "locked-up" and there was a vibration. When she changed to the left lane she said it wouldn't really go left and then when she changed to the right lane it kept going right. Sounds like a wheel bearing to me but I wanted to know what you thought. I have driven it and haven't noticed anything off.

Am I on track with the wheel bearing?

Thanks.
Joe

Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Steering Issue?

No I dont think it is a wheel bearing, if the wheel bearing locked up she would have wound up in the ditch unless it was raining or snowing and she wouls not have been able to drive any more.
First check the power steering fluid level.
Then get it to a suspension shop and have them check out the whole front end, they will do this for free.
Any muffler suspension shop can do this check. Do not mess around with this, your wifes life depends on it.
Unless...you have that reallt big insurance policy and a really hot...do you?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Three Wheeling

I should have mentioned that the P/S fluid is at the Min line so I need to top that off also. I just didn't think low P/S fluid would cause that issue; I thought that would just make it difficult to steer.

Thanks for the reply.

P.S. I am working on the other stuff you mentioned.....in my mind.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, how long has it been since you serviced the system, not by just topping it off?
Second, Rover had some p/s gear box issues with it locking up, superceded the original with an up dated model and it seems to be better.
I had mine lock up on a major Calif. freeway at 60 MPH, was a real thrill, got mine replaced under warranty.
If you love your wife, don't let her drive it till it can be towed to a good Rover mechanic and fixed, if you don't, tell her it is fine and find a good lawyer.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: jpperry

P.S. I am working on the other stuff you mentioned.....in my mind.
I know a guy who knows a guy....

You are right that low on P/S fluid will not cause this, but if it were completly empty and had been that way for a few days the pump could have siezed and that was kinda what I was getting at.
I would do like Mike said, get it looked at on Monday and nobody drives it until it is given a written clean bill of health.
Keep that paper in your safe and if something does happen your butt is covered.
Two things you never wait on on any car, steering and brakes, but you knew that.
PLEASE PLEASE let us know what you find out so that we may help others better.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Mike

The vehicle has had all manufacturer recommeneded service, so the last time the system was serviced would have been per recommendation. That being said, I was a little late on the 60,000 so my 90,000 is basically due right now (I just dropped it off at the after hour drop off).

I have noticed a slight leak that I was suspecting was coming from the P/S pump area but haven't had a chance to get at it. Now is the time I suppose.

Spike

I'llbe sure to reply back what the shop says. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

One thing you need to realize is that the factory schedule for service is not good for the vehicle. Many things need to be done more frequently.
If your gear box is failing, there wouldn't be anything you could have done to prevent it.
If it is bad, you may want to consider buying a good guaranteed used one, lot cheaper the the new one at nearly $800 plus labor.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Team Owner
Old 01-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the info, I'll begin to adhere to some of the service schedules I've seen posted; Spike, I think you had a good system.

The problem with trying to find a used one and putting it in is timing. Currently I work full time and am taking two graduate courses as well as a couple of other commitments (can't wait to be done with school and have some time again), plus my wife needs the vehicle, being a one vehicle household is difficult, again because I need to get to classes and such plus the wife can't drive the other car (it's a stick).

Any idea how they test the P/S gear box?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Team Owner

Drop out of skool, its overrated any ways. When you have no more skool to pay fer then the Disco will be much more funner. More dollars to keep the Disco running gooder.

No, sorry, I do not know how to test the steering box.
You do what you have to do man. If that means paying the dealer then so be it.

Quick Reply: Steering Issue?