Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 issues to trouble shoot

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 issues to trouble shoot

I have two new items to look into on my ride. I have a 96 Discovery.

#1 - When I got in my Discovery today and started it the idle stumbled and when I put it in reverse it died. I restarted and it did it again. On the third attempt I gave it some gas once it started and I was able to keep it going I put it in reverse, backed up and drove off with no issues the rest of the day. It got cold last night for the first time in a few weeks. Not sure if this could have caused anything.

#2 - The A/C has worked great since I got the truck (about two weeks). Today, it didnt work at all. When I pressed the a/c button I couldnt even hear the compressor kick on nor did the engine change its idle like cars do when you first turn the a/c on. The light on the a/c button doesnt come on but it hasnt since I got it. I really dont think the system is getting a signal to come on.

I got home late tonight so I really didnt have time to do any trouble shooting. Can someone point me in the right direction on these two issues?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 07-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. That may or may not be an MAF issue, not sure. Is it running rough at all? If so, disconnect te MAF and see if it runs better.
2. The a/c is either not getting a signal or the clutch needs to be shimmed. Look for blown fuses and test for the proper voltage on the clutch. If you are getting voltage and it is not engaging, you need to fix the clutch by most likely shimming it.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Drifting

"A Land Rover doesn't leak! It marks its territory."

LrScott.... got to hand it to ya on that one.

Nice.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also check your A/C pressure you could be low on freon. It's not uncommon to have a slow leak in the system.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Clean your t/body and the IAC, idle control as well as the hole it fits into.
Check your freon level as mentioned, most likely just low.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Three Wheeling

The a/c issue was from low freon. I checked the system a week ago and it was full. Is there a problem area when it comes to freon leaks?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jason

Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First fill it up with the freon with leak guard and put a can of oil in if you have not lately. Run the AC until the freon leaks out again (if it does) and then the AC be for a week or 2, this will let the leak sealer do it's thing. I did this and my fast leak disappeared. I had to let the AC sit for a while though after the freon ran out, not sure if that makes sense.

Otherwise no not really any likely places. Put a pound of the freon with a UV dye and get a black light. You can then either look for the dye after a couple days or squirt water on all the lines. If that does not work see if autozone has a freon sniffer for rent. If not and you can't find it Harbor Freight sells a sniffer for $70 which still may br cheaper than having a tech trouble shoot a hard to find leak. Remember to sniff the vents too.