Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 things I am glad about!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2 things I am glad about!

Always nice when you can report something positive here since this forum is mostly about problems we encounter. Both of the things I am happy about are in reference to the colder than normal winter we are having here in Houston. OK, I know you guys from up north are laughing at us complaining down here about morning start ups in the upper 20's but for us that is really cold!

#1. Glad I spent a few dollars at ebay a few years back and got some black leather seats with the heater panels in them to replace the vinyl non heated ones my S model 2003 came with and also added the switches to turn them on. I think I spent about $250 total and the swap out was easy. After only a few minutes being turned on I have to switch them off or I worry I'll get a burn!

#2 Glad I decided to go ahead and change to a winter weight oil even though I wasn't quite due for an oil change back in November. I've been running Shell Rotella 15-40 from spring to late fall what with our hot summer weather and I wondered if it would be prudent to go with the Shell Rotella T6 5-40 for winter as I was betting this might be a colder winter. I also began adding a can of BG MOA at each oil change at the advise of one our independent LR shops and after the first oil change (with the Rotella) I noticed a quieter engine with less noticeable ticks. I don't know what it does and I don't care if others think I am blowing $6 for each can (purchased also on ebay). And with the T6 this winter my engine sounds like it did when it was brand new! Runs quiet and has great pick up. Need to do a gas mileage test to see if it has had any effect.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Always nice when you can report something positive here since this forum is mostly about problems we encounter. Both of the things I am happy about are in reference to the colder than normal winter we are having here in Houston. OK, I know you guys from up north are laughing at us complaining down here about morning start ups in the upper 20's but for us that is really cold!

#1. Glad I spent a few dollars at ebay a few years back and got some black leather seats with the heater panels in them to replace the vinyl non heated ones my S model 2003 came with and also added the switches to turn them on. I think I spent about $250 total and the swap out was easy. After only a few minutes being turned on I have to switch them off or I worry I'll get a burn!

#2 Glad I decided to go ahead and change to a winter weight oil even though I wasn't quite due for an oil change back in November. I've been running Shell Rotella 15-40 from spring to late fall what with our hot summer weather and I wondered if it would be prudent to go with the Shell Rotella T6 5-40 for winter as I was betting this might be a colder winter. I also began adding a can of BG MOA at each oil change at the advise of one our independent LR shops and after the first oil change (with the Rotella) I noticed a quieter engine with less noticeable ticks. I don't know what it does and I don't care if others think I am blowing $6 for each can (purchased also on ebay). And with the T6 this winter my engine sounds like it did when it was brand new! Runs quiet and has great pick up. Need to do a gas mileage test to see if it has had any effect.
Glad you are having no starting issues. When the temp got down to single digits, my 2001 started but wasn't "happy" as my wife put it. A new top shelf battery from Advance Auto solved that issue. I have no idea what oil is in the truck, but I am about to change to 5w40 Rotella just like you did.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the cold temps myself... reduces the chance of over heating

Old 01-30-2014, 04:40 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
I like the cold temps myself... reduces the chance of over heating
Good point but also reduces the odds that your paint especially on the roof and hood will be faded or rusted from the intense heat and sunlight. Ive seen pictures of southern cars with roofs that lost all the paint. Ive also seen alot of vehicles including Disco's with the dash peeled back from the heat! So its a mixed blessing being in colder climates up North. Sadly though salt kills our chassis so we have ti invest in expensive undercoatings or eventually replace the chassis due to rot.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CBRacer - Did you find used seats on Ebay or aftermarket? Do you remember the seller name? I am looking for a new set of front seats and having a hard time. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kwarren76
CBRacer - Did you find used seats on Ebay or aftermarket? Do you remember the seller name? I am looking for a new set of front seats and having a hard time. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I have not replaced any seats. If I was looking I would start with contacting the dismantlers on eBay.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the heated seat switch panel from Paul Grant. Sometimes he also will have a good seat cover. The heating elements are sewn into the cover. If you have leather seats, you already have the elements and wiring, you just need to add the switch panel.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I dont find a new vehicle, and unload the 99, im going to have to replace the drivers seat cover. The heater gets a hot spot and stings my hip.