Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discovery II over heating AGAIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:49 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Mr. Alan,

Without an OBDII scanner of some type, you would be depending on the Rover factory gauge. Note these two pictures, by different members. Different OBDII temps, yet factory gauge is "dead center" in both trucks. This "undocumented feature" or "bug" in the ECU program makes both owners see same display, while they are 38F apart.

If you don't have a better gauge, running while it does not show overheat may be a like SWMBO saying she can't be overdrawn because she has checks left. When testing, no need to sail past 195-205, you don't need to go to 227 to "prove" you are overheating. Running on the high edge just helps warp heads, make sleeves slip, cooks oil to worthless dribble.

IMHO most Rover owners are riding along in blissful ignorance, if they saw the real temps, being the men of action, repairs would have started long ago. No one wants to be a fool and drive a truck that is overheating. But Rover drivers are just fooled by the instruments.
The ultra gauge is the single best investment I've made form my 2000 disco II. I know exactly where temps should be based on engine load and outside temp. Any deviation from norm is detected long before an over heating issue. Best $70 I've spent. In fact, if I were to buy another disco, I'd have to think long and hard about buying one from an owner that did not have one (or similar obII gauge) installed!