Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump went boom...well not really

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump went boom...well not really

My power steering pump decided to go out on me. The pulley shot forward enough that it took out my fan. Anyone heard of this happening? Also i started to tear into it today and seem to have run into a problem. I got everything off but there seems to be a little stud in the top of the three bolt holes. I assume that this stud needs to come out but i cannot get it for the life of me. Also where is a good place to buy a power steering pump? I assume like for most of the other parts to stay clear of the dealerships...but are they all created equally?
P.S. i tried to get the rave manual to work and just ended up getting frustrated.
thanks for any help you can give me.
cheers

Old 02-28-2010, 09:20 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The stud stays in the cylinder head, it is used to locate the pump housing on the engine so you can line up the other bolts. It only has a 7lb torque and is easy to break. You download the rave CD, extract it and click on welcome.pdf, click on the Rave picture and select your model.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Mudding

I see that there is the stud thats on the top, does that need to pull out somehow? i am confused and a little bit slow.....

*Maybe i just need a bigger crow bar and to hit it harder with a bigger sledge hammer*

Last edited by greenwade; 02-28-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
TReK

It has a nut on it you need to remove but the stud is threaded in the cylinder head and not threaded in the pump housing so once you remove the nut and the other bolts the pump housing slides off the stud.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Mudding

how much of the front of the motor do you have to take off? because currently i just pulled the fan shroud, air intake tubing, and the ACE pump so i can get at the PAS pump easier. I then removed the nut and two boils that go through the pump as well as both the low pressure and high pressure hoses. But it wont budge, so i think that i am doing something wrong. you say that it should slide off? doesn't the pump have to slide downwards? or do i need to take the whole bracket off the front of the motor?
sorry for my ignorance

Old 02-28-2010, 09:53 PM
TReK

You need to remove the viscous fan and AC compressor also. The pump and pump housing come out as one unit (they slide forward off the stud) then you remove the pump from the housing. You definitely cannot remove the pump housing with the fan still on there and the AC compressor bolts onto the PAS housing so that comes off too. The Rave CD had all these details step by step.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Mudding

KK thanks. When i tried to look it up i just kept getting somewhat helpless diagrams and such. But got the right section now

Last edited by greenwade; 02-28-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

D1 pumps you can get at Advance Auto Parts. I don't know about DII's.
You don't say which you have.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Rock Crawling

when mine went it was huge puddle under near the truck and it was not hard remove it but it was pain in the butt to bolt it back up....

Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Mudding

I got it off. Only thing was i couldn;t find my fan wrench.....so a little "encouragement" was done but you can get the power steering pump out of a disco 2 without removing the fan. When the new one gets here i will let you know if you can get it back in with the fan on. I am sure that the pump went bad because when i took it apart the was a ton of metal shavings and obvious areas of wear. Thank you everyone for the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering pump went boom...well not really