Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 D2 - Crank, no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 02:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Still worth doublechecking fuel pressure first. You can jumper the relay to make the pump run. If you have FP, and she runs off starting fluid, then you likely have a bad CPS.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I'm not against checking fuel pressure, just equipment I don't have and need to look into it. To me it makes sense to check this once I do get power back to the pump. Pls help if I'm missing something.

If the cps cuts the injectors and not the pump, how would the cps be the reason I have no power to the fuel pump? I've also tried the original cps and the new Bosch unit that was in when the pedal went to the floor and started this all off. I'm thinking there's a reason that the fuel pump relay isn't getting switched, but then also the reason for no start even when I jump the relay and run the pump off of the battery. This is why I'm thinking ecu, but I'm just guessing at this point.

Thanks again for the recommendations and ideas.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:04 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK... New job + Covid in-house + Ida = delayed follow up. Sorry for the long post.

A couple of issues to get to:
I decided to have a shop take a look at it and they said their scanner showed it was immobilized so they couldn't do anything with it. It doesn't act like it is immobilized and I even tried the 1515 EKA code, but I can't even get it to enter into the setup to receive the code. It just locks and unlocks normally. I'm thinking I broke the IDM / BCU link when taking the driver/dash fuse box out. Looking at RAVE, it appears if the link between the BCU and IDM is broken the vehicle will be immobilized.

"IDMThe IDM is integrated into the passenger compartment fuse box, which is mounted behind the fascia below the
steering column. There are no harnesses between the fuse box and the IDM. The IDM performs the power switching
operations for several of the vehicle's electrical systems.

The IDM communicates with the BCU and the instrument pack via a serial interface. If the BCU or the IDM is replaced,
the communications link between the two units has to be re-established. This can be done either by switching on the
ignition and leaving it on for five minutes, or by using TestBook. The vehicle immobilisation will remain active until the
communications link between the BCU and IDM has been re-established."

I've done the five minute thing, but haven't had a scan system on it, so not sure if it's still saying it's immobilized. Does this sound plausible, that removing the driver's/interior fuse box could immobilize the car?

Next up, fuel pressure. I finally got around to picking up a harbor freight gauge (I know, should have done this before taking to a shop ) and I'm getting no reading for fuel pressure. I put the gauge on the schrader valve test point, jumped the relay (i could hear and feel the pump running -- or doing something), tried with the ignition off and on (accessory position 2) and while cranking, and nothing on the gauge. Zero. Questioned if I'd put the hoses together correctly so I pulled the gauge off the test point (a little gas came out, telling me that connection was probably good) and put the gauge and hose on a spare schrader valve rigged up on a bike pump and registered matching psi on the gauge and pump. This tells me my hose and gauge work. Put it back on the test point and tried it all again... nothing.

Lastly, power at the pump. I was thinking that when you turn the key to the accessory position (2) that the pump kicks in for a few seconds and this is when I was measuring 0 volts at the connector at the pump. But tried cranking with the voltmeter on the connector and got 10.6ish volts at the connector. (this is with the relay in place, measured 12.7 with a wire jumper in place of the relay) Was I simply mistaken about the accessory (2) position powering the pump?

All this said, I think it's the fuel pump and so I've ordered a Bosch one. There's power to the pump on crank and zero fuel pressure in the rail. Am I missing anything?? Thanks in advance.